Few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaier48

Reaction score
Okay for starters, I am a beer maker, but I would like to get into the wine. I am looking to just do kits, maybe some juice recipes such as edworts.

I understand that there is a lot more waiting involved in wine making. So for that reason I'd like to get a few kits coming down the pipes. I wonder how the best way to do this is, I have several 6.5 gallon fermenting buckets (beer making) but I only have one 5 gallon carboy that I got with the wine kit. Can I get multiples going in fermenting buckets, and as the carboy opens move them over?

I guess my question is, how is the fastest, easiest way to get 4-5 kits fermenting close together(2-3) months with having only (6) buckets, (2) 6.5 gallon carboys and (1) 5 gallon carboy?

More carboys.

This is what I do, start in a pail, then rack your 6 gallon batch to a 5 gallon carboy. Put the rest in a gallon jug with an airlock.

Next transfer into another 5 gallon carboy and use the gallon jug to top your batch up. Put the rest into a wine bottle with an airlock. Next rack you that to top up

So in the end you waste a little but you never have to worry about head space and topping up with water or previous batches.

Anyway to answer your question get more carboys.

Back