Fermzilla pressure kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnieto2003

Reaction score
Hi all.

I purchased a load of stuff from fermzilla and apart from the kit seeming to be good quality it frustrates the hell out of me with the lack of instructions etc..

So I have a fermzilla 27ltr sat in my fermenting fridge with the new spinding valve attached but the valve is not showing any pressure and there is no bubbles coming from the release.

I fixed my beer tap to the other post and there is definitely pressure in the fermenter.

Does anyone have any instructions on the spunding valve or pressure kit from kegland? Or any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I've attached an image for reference

Attachments

• 20201013_132657.jpg
    20201013_132657.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 124
These are the directions on the More Beer website. Let us know what happens. I was just thinking about buying that spunding valve.

Set Up
The BlowTie spunding valve comes with 8 mm Duotight fittings on the inlet and outlet, and we recommend using it with EVABarrier 8 mm OD tubing (D1717 or D1718). You'll also need the flare Duotight fitting (DUO106) in order to attach it to a ball lock or pin lock disconnect. Dialing in your desired pressure is even easier with the BlowTie 2, thanks to the integrated pressure gauge. Simply start with the adjustment knob fully closed, then slowly open it until the gauge reading matches your desired pressure setting.

So I let it sit for a couple of days and the pressure gauge began to rise, I was successfully using the tap to take Hydrometer readings but towards the end of the fermentation process I lost all pressure and I have no idea why/how that has happened.

I have cold crashed the lager now and it’s sitting at 3c but I don’t have any pressure whatsoever, in fact I attached the tap again and it was pulling oxygen in as opposed to pushing beer out, I’m guessing there is a leak in the system somewhere....maybe one of the ball lock posts are stuck?

I’m not really sure what the solution is maybe I can force carbonate in a cornie keg or something.....

I do use a strap wrench to get a good seal on the lid of my Fermzilla All Rounder. Also when you drop the temperature to cold crash you will reduce the pressure inside the fermenter quite a bit. I learned this the hard way once when I sucked up about a half a liter of Star San from my blow off tube into the fermenter with cold crashing. And then, of course, at the end of fermentation there is no further CO2 production to raise the pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-W...1&keywords=strap+wrench&qid=1603046675&sr=8-5

Hi Jim.
Thanks for your reply, I began fermentation at 12c thinking next time I just go for it at room temp.

I also don’t have any co2 so I couldn’t pressure test the kit unfortunately.

in your experience what’s the best way for me to progress? I currently have 23ltrs of lager sat at 3c with no carbonation....should I buy a cornie keg and co2 canister? bottle it? Or just try and force carbonate in the fermzilla?

thanks for any help.

I bought the All Rounder to use as a second fermenter and to someday try faster, room air pressure fermentations of lagers with a spunding valve. I am definitely not an expert on lagers but I would assume you will need to now follow a standard longer cold lagering schedule since it doesn't sound like you achieved the desired pressure to speed up the process.

I always keg my beer when it is done fermenting and then let it mature in the keg for a week or so at my desired carbonation level (usually 12 psi). Bottling with a primer after the layering process would be fine too.

Hi Jim.
Thanks for your reply, I began fermentation at 12c thinking next time I just go for it at room temp.

I also don’t have any co2 so I couldn’t pressure test the kit unfortunately.

in your experience what’s the best way for me to progress? I currently have 23ltrs of lager sat at 3c with no carbonation....should I buy a cornie keg and co2 canister? bottle it? Or just try and force carbonate in the fermzilla?

thanks for any help.

Judging by your comments I get the sense you thought that getting the fermzilla, pressure kit and the spunding valve would let you carbonate and serve directly from the Fermzilla without having to have a co2 tank at all? While you can pressurize and serve directly from the fermzilla, you still will at some point need to introduce supplementary co2. You don't necessarily need to buy a corny keg, but you really do need to buy a regulator and a co2 tank if you want to carbonate and serve from the fermzilla.

Judging by your comments I get the sense you thought that getting the fermzilla, pressure kit and the spunding valve would let you carbonate and serve directly from the Fermzilla without having to have a co2 tank at all? While you can pressurize and serve directly from the fermzilla, you still will at some point need to introduce supplementary co2. You don't necessarily need to buy a corny keg, but you really do need to buy a regulator and a co2 tank if you want to carbonate and serve from the fermzilla.

I have a kegerator and a couple CO2 tanks for kegging. The reason I bought the fermzilla was to have an extra fermenter but also because I want to try this sometime (see link). For me, this is the benefit of the Fermzilla and spunding valve.

I have a kegerator and a couple CO2 tanks for kegging. The reason I bought the fermzilla was to have an extra fermenter but also because I want to try this sometime (see link). For me, this is the benefit of the Fermzilla and spunding valve.
Yeah pressure fermenting in place of temp control was a primary reason I got one as well, but I suspect Magnieto thought that he could use it in place of a regular kegging setup since they advertise that you can serve straight from the fermenter.

Back