Fermonster Valve Broke in Half

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
954B0B19-AE1E-4C7F-A41D-A3ED29F9529A.jpeg

I went to open the valve on my Fermonster, only to have the whole thing come off in my hand. So there I am with a full carboy that now —because there is no valve — just has an opening at the bottom, with my roggenbier pouring out. So I little-Dutch-boy the thing, which I have to say works surprisingly well. With my other hand I manage to get my clean keg open, and then I dump the beer in. Good times.

(Yes, I always tighten that nut by hand.)

Now you have a reason and a theme suggestion for renaming this particular brew something more appropriate after you bottle or keg it.

I lost a batch for similar reasons a few months ago. Wish I'd been more cool headed about it like you must have been. After the fact, I realized I could have saved it.

I’ve broken those plastic valves in the past as well. Luckily, while reassembling while the bucket was empty.

That's why I always replace mine with the metal ones. A little more expensive but they last forever!

DMF

That's why I always replace mine with the metal ones. A little more expensive but they last forever!

What metal ones do you use? Do they also fit the same size opening?

I have several like shown and I have never had an issue with breakage. They are bit of a pain to clean as there are lots of crevices that are hard to reach.

Don't know about metal ones for the Fermonster, but I change my spigots out for the bottling bucket spigots. They seem a bit more "robust" than the stock ones.

On my Speidel fermenter, I changed out for a stainless steel spigot, much better.

Now you have a reason and a theme suggestion for renaming this particular brew something more appropriate after you bottle or keg it.

I lost a batch for similar reasons a few months ago. Wish I'd been more cool headed about it like you must have been. After the fact, I realized I could have saved it.
Yeah I’d call it G@@ DAMIT!! ALE

Back