Fermometor not reading....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGowls

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my second brew ever (NB Smashing Pumpkin Ale). I cooled the wort down below 100* and then poured into my primary, the only thing is my fermometor isnt showing a temperature, it was already cool to the touch but i waited an extra 15 minutes or so to pitch my yeast. Im hoping that its just not showing up even though it should be under 78*. Im going to check on it in a few hours to see if a temp is registering but if it is still not showing what do you fellow brewers suggest? im thinking about wrapping it in some wet towels or putting it in a tote full of cool water. i know its to early to be worried about the yeast not working properly but i dont know why a temp isnt showing up.

Thanks!

under 100 is hot, unless your top up water was really cold it might be above 80 so its not reading anything.

get it in a cold water bath and put a couple ice bottles in it.

I can't read my fermometer in regular light because unless its settled at a consistent temperature the colors fluctuate from a barely noticeable blue to orange. To read it, I turn my cell phone brightness all the way up and put it right next to the fermometer in the dark.

Back