Fermintation question. First time brewer. Started on this last Saturday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsen31

Reaction score
Hello all. Hope someone can provide me with an answer or tell me what I did wrong. So I purchased a kit on Saturday along with a recipe and ingredients for a Nut Brown Ale. The directions said that I should see "bubbling" in the airlock for about three days. After the first day the bubbling subsided and has now completely stopped. Is there any reason why this has stopped? Is there anyway to fix it before it's too late?

Any input is appreciated and feel free to criticize. I want to get better.

You could have a small leak or it's already through the rigorous part of fermentation. It said "about" three days. What temperature do you have it at? Let it go for 7-10 days, check the gravity to make sure it is done. Then you can let it go a bit longer to clear and clean up any off flavors or bottle it up. I would recommend a minimum of 14 days in the primary though before you do anything.

From my limited knowledge it might be related to temperature and what tolerance the yeast you are using has with fluctuating temperature. That's just me guessing as I am also a beginner

What are you fermenting in? Carboy or Plastic Bucket?

Buckets are quite commonly known for not sealing well and therefore the pressure builds and escapes someplace besides the airlock.

Airlock activity (or lack of) is not a good and useful sign of fermentation.

Relax, Don't Worry, and Have a Home Brew

What are you fermenting in? Carboy or Plastic Bucket?

Buckets are quite commonly known for not sealing well and therefore the pressure builds and escapes someplace besides the airlock.

Airlock activity (or lack of) is not a good and useful sign of fermentation.

Relax, Don't Worry, and Have a Home Brew

It's a glass carboy. 6.5 gallon.

If it ferments at too high a temp it can finish pretty fast, especially for a low OG beer like a nut brown ale. Fermentation temp is different from room temp-fermentation creates heat so that the fermentation temp will be 5-8 degrees warmer than room temp. Controlling fermentation temp is the one thing that made the biggest difference in my beer quality.

14 days no matter what? Even if it's "done" fermenting? Again, very new at this.

Yeast get really fired up when they first get in the bucket with all that sugar around. As they start munching away, just like us, they get a few byproducts coming out. Unlike us, they go back and "clean up" after themselves. This will reduce some off flavors and more importantly, ensures you reach final gravity. The first few days may knock your gravity from 1.05 to 1.02, but to get down to 1.01 may take an additional 7 - 10 days. Patience will always reward you with better beer. Once you get more experience and have the capabilities to really hone your temperatures and entire process, that time frame can be shortened. I've been doing this for a year now and still go at least 10 - 14 days.

If it ferments at too high a temp it can finish pretty fast, especially for a low OG beer like a nut brown ale. Fermentation temp is different from room temp-fermentation creates heat so that the fermentation temp will be 5-8 degrees warmer than room temp. Controlling fermentation temp is the one thing that made the biggest difference in my beer quality.

Thank you!

Yeast get really fired up when they first get in the bucket with all that sugar around. As they start munching away, just like us, they get a few byproducts coming out. Unlike us, they go back and "clean up" after themselves. This will reduce some off flavors and more importantly, ensures you reach final gravity. The first few days may knock your gravity from 1.05 to 1.02, but to get down to 1.01 may take an additional 7 - 10 days. Patience will always reward you with better beer. Once you get more experience and have the capabilities to really hone your temperatures and entire process, that time frame can be shortened. I've been doing this for a year now and still go at least 10 - 14 days.

Okay. I appreciate it. what temperature do you usually ferment at, for a brown ale?

Most ale yeast like mid 60s, but it really depends on the yeast strain itself. Happen to know what it is? And as corky stated, have to be careful because the beer temp will be warmer than the exterior temp for the first few days. This is also the most important time to control temp. Which is why it is also good to get your wort down into the 70s or lower before pitching.

70's.... Dammit. The directions said below 90...

Certainly below 90, but 70s are best. I pitched my last one at 81 or 82, my chiller setup wouldn't let it get any better. The lower the better, just helps that initial phase go smoother.

If you haven't had a chance yet, read through this. Most kit directions are not very good. This gives a good overview, even though it's technically not up to date. But it is way better than any kit directions and gives some whys behind the what.

70's.... Dammit. The directions said below 90...
I am guessing you used an extract kit? so you topped it off with tap or bottled water? leave that water in the fridge for a day before you brew and after you add it to your wort it will get you to the 62-64 degree range no probs, if you use the ice bath in the sink method.

I am guessing you used an extract kit? so you topped it off with tap or bottled water? leave that water in the fridge for a day before you brew and after you add it to your wort it will get you to the 62-64 degree range no probs, if you use the ice bath in the sink method.

Nice Tip!

I use sanitary ICE to chil my wort. It takes a couple of times to get the amount right, but I get a 21lb bag of ice (or so it is labeled) and I know how much wort I need in my kettle to settle out to a nice 65F 5 gallons.

I use sanitary ICE to chil my wort.

I would have never thunk it. how do I know if my bag of ice is sanitary?

For the convenience it was worth a hail Mary, but Kroger claims that the ice is more pure than tap water (we have FANTASTIC tap water quality here) and 10 brews later of FANTASTIC beer, I figure I will have to make a bad batch before I 2nd guess the technique.

Back