fermentrack is not autostarting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
I tried to access my pi/fermentrack and my computer tells me it can't, so I turned off my pi and restarted it Used my phone to try and get to it and it can't. Plugged pi into my screen, hooked up keyboard and mouse and tried to get to it on the pi and I can't(i put in fermentrack ip address 192.168.1.) so how do i restart fermentrack? How do I check if the start up upon booting is still there?

This is what I see

Attachments

• B857CA4A-A9BC-4DB6-8E71-8C5863E81974.jpeg
    B857CA4A-A9BC-4DB6-8E71-8C5863E81974.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
Are you certain you have the right local IP address? The best way to check is to admin into your router and look at the list of connected devices. Look for your RPi running Fermentrack and the IP assigned to that device.

Are you certain you have the right local IP address? The best way to check is to admin into your router and look at the list of connected devices. Look for your RPi running Fermentrack and the IP assigned to that device.
Yes I looked in the fermentrack ini file and that is the ip in there.

So do I copy off the fermentrack folder to usb and wipe my card and reinstall fermentrack? i hate to lose my settings as well as my beer logs but I am at lose here as to what to do.
@Thorrak any suggestions.

I wouldn’t do anything to rash yet.

I’m going to be honest, other than you not being able to access Fermentrack via web host, I’m uncertain of everything else.

You mentioned that the IP address to access Fermentrack was found in an .ini file, this suggests you have access to the Pi. However, you said you don’t have access to the Pi. So it’s unknown if it’s a Pi issue or a Fermentrack issue

Since you have beer logs...Fermentrack was working. Anything change from the time it was working until now?

Is the Pi on (led light on)?
Is the Pi on your network (does your router list it as a connected device)?
If the Pi is on your network, is it the expected IP address?
if it isn’t the expected IP address, can you connect to Fermentrack via web browser Using the listed IP?
If the IP is listed on the Router and you can’t access the Pi, have you tried resetting the router?

Listen, I’m the equivalent of level 1 tech support 🤣, but being able to help answer the above questions will help someone else understand what’s going on and help you.

I wouldn’t do anything to rash yet.

I’m going to be honest, other than you not being able to access Fermentrack via web host, I’m uncertain of everything else.

You mentioned that the IP address to access Fermentrack was found in an .ini file, this suggests you have access to the Pi. However, you said you don’t have access to the Pi. So it’s unknown if it’s a Pi issue or a Fermentrack issue

Since you have beer logs...Fermentrack was working. Anything change from the time it was working until now?

Is the Pi on (led light on)?
Is the Pi on your network (does your router list it as a connected device)?
If the Pi is on your network, is it the expected IP address?
if it isn’t the expected IP address, can you connect to Fermentrack via web browser Using the listed IP?
If the IP is listed on the Router and you can’t access the Pi, have you tried resetting the router?

Listen, I’m the equivalent of level 1 tech support 🤣, but being able to help answer the above questions will help someone else understand what’s going on and help you.
I appreciate any and all help. 🤓. Yes I turn on the pi. I attach a monitor keyboard mouse to it. I can view the folders on the pi. I viewed the ini on the pi. As far as seeing if it is on my router, I have no idea how to as Linux is not my specialty. Pi shows me connected to my network. Very slow and I cannot get to any websites on pi so no clue.

It was working I believe last weekend when I was trying to add a controller into fermentrack via the IP address I thought I could use it to go out to a Wi-Fi plug for a heater but I can’t do today I thought I could use ubidots, IFTTT, and inkbird app to do it but can’t get into fermentrack.

well, with a local IP of 192.168.1.XXX there's a good chance you're running a Linksys Router...typically, you would navigate to 192.168.1.1 on your local network. Enter your admin username/password combo, look at your DHCP client list and look for the RPi and the IP given to it.

If you can access the Pi via monitor/keyboard/mouse....hover the mouse over the WiFi icon on the Pi desktop....something like wlan0: Configured 192.168.1.xxx/24 should display. You should also see wlan0: Associated with "Insert your network name".

Is your Pi on the Network you expect it to be on?
Is the IP address what you expect, 192.168.1.19?

Good! Ok...so get on your Pi and using the Termit App, enter the following commands

sudo su fermentrack
cd ~/fermentrack
source ~/venv/bin/activate
circusctl restart

This will restart Fermentrack. Give it a couple of minutes to start-up and see if you can access Fermentrack via web browser.

Good! Ok...so get on your Pi and using the Termit App, enter the following commands

sudo su fermentrack
cd ~/fermentrack
source ~/venv/bin/activate
circusctl restart

This will restart Fermentrack. Give it a couple of minutes to start-up and see if you can access Fermentrack via web browser.
Waiting on this screen for 15 minutes
BEC9AFD6-5EFA-430E-8AAA-26CFFD629FFB.jpeg

i backed up the card today so i will copy it back onto the card tomorrow and see what happens. if card is bad, which i doubt since pi starts up i will refomat and try again. tomorrow.

To reformat and start anew is your choice.

somewhere in this process...

“It was working I believe last weekend when I was trying to add a controller into fermentrack via the IP address I thought I could use it to go out to a Wi-Fi plug for a heater but I can’t do today I thought I could use ubidots, IFTTT, and inkbird app to do it but can’t get into fermentrack.”

...Fermentrack got stepped on.

i would post the results from your /Fermentrack/log/Fermentrack-stderr.log and maybe someone will see the thread and post to tell you what’s going on.

Based on your logs & the screenshots, I'm ~90% certain the issue here is one with either your Pi or the network, but let's see what we can do to recover regardless. Once you can run that command I posted and post the results, we should be able to figure out where the breakdown is.

Side note: How did you manage to get to the logs you just posted?

Based on your logs & the screenshots, I'm ~90% certain the issue here is one with either your Pi or the network, but let's see what we can do to recover regardless. Once you can run that command I posted and post the results, we should be able to figure out where the breakdown is.

Side note: How did you manage to get to the logs you just posted?
I
I shut pi down then put card in laptop

No worries. Two more things:

Thing 1: Try running the command arp -a and post a screenshot of the results

Thing 2: Try going to http://192.168.1.8/ and see if that works

If you ultimately need to reformat and reinstall, the fact that you can back up files from the card means that we can save all your logs/settings pretty easily. Don't nuke the card just yet. ;)

For the Pi Zero it can take a while for things to fully spin up. Try again from your laptop here in a bit.

As a side note, I would highly recommend upgrading to a Pi 3 if you ever have the opportunity. ;)

So you know for the future - Your router currently is assigning a random IP address to your Raspberry Pi from the pool of available IP addresses. Previously, your Pi's IP address was 192.168.1.19 but it now is 192.168.1.8. There are a bunch of ways to address this - but unfortunately, all are pretty router-specific and are therefore beyond my level of expertise to help with.

In the future, if you are having trouble, you can check the IP address of your Pi by running that ifconfig wlan0 command. The IP address can be seen on the second line, next to "inet"

how long to wait? use 8 or 19?

For now, .8. You can forget .19 - That was previously the address, but is the address no longer.

You can also try going to http://raspberrypi.local/ and see if that loads for you on your laptop. It doesn't look like you've changed the hostname so I'm guessing that it will work (unless you have multiple Pis with that same hostname)

By the way, one last question, if i get a pi 3 or 4, how do i get my logs and settings onto it?

Back