Fermentrack: Fermentation monitoring & BrewPi-www Replacement for Raspberry Pi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, did that as follows:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo su fermentrack
fermentrack@raspberrypi:/home/pi$ cd ~/fermentrack
fermentrack@raspberrypi:~/fermentrack$ git gc --aggressive --prune=now
error: object file .git/objects/88/e58cd6e6ab802cc0c922674ad14fca27d5785e is empty
error: bad ref for .git/logs/refs/remotes/origin/HEAD
error: bad ref for .git/logs/refs/remotes/origin/master
error: object file .git/objects/88/e58cd6e6ab802cc0c922674ad14fca27d5785e is empty
fatal: loose object 88e58cd6e6ab802cc0c922674ad14fca27d5785e (stored in .git/obj ects/88/e58cd6e6ab802cc0c922674ad14fca27d5785e) is corrupt
fatal: failed to run reflog
fermentrack@raspberrypi:~/fermentrack$

I then went back to the browser logged out then logged back in and i still get the same error

I managed to get rid of the corrupt and empty files (using this procedure: https://stackoverflow.com/questions...-error-object-file-is-empty/31110176#31110176) only to find a new set of errors.

So I just shotgunned it with a re-install of fermentrack. Seems to be functional now.

My thanks to those that provided assistance.

I go a message on the LCD that I haven't seen before while testing out my new controller. Cooling and heating relays are configured, with a fridge temp probe, and mode is set to fridge constant. I set the temp higher than the temp probe to test if the heating relay would kick in, and got a message "Waiting for peak" with no countdown or anything. Nothing is happening.

Cooling relay worked fine, and kicked on when I set the constant to lower than the fridge probe.

What does this message mean?

I go a message on the LCD that I haven't seen before while testing out my new controller. Cooling and heating relays are configured, with a fridge temp probe, and mode is set to fridge constant. I set the temp higher than the temp probe to test if the heating relay would kick in, and got a message "Waiting for peak" with no countdown or anything. Nothing is happening.

Cooling relay worked fine, and kicked on when I set the constant to lower than the fridge probe.

What does this message mean?
How far below the current temp did you set the fridge constant? Was the fridge actively calling for cool when you changed the set point to trigger a call for heat?

I *think* the original firmware did that if it never had to heat previously. I don't recall if there was a countdown but I suspect not.

Ok, so sounds like this is normal? I am probably throwing it around too much from just testing different temps. I just want to make sure it will work right when I actually start fermenting and setting a temp profile.

Ok, so sounds like this is normal? I am probably throwing it around too much from just testing different temps. I just want to make sure it will work right when I actually start fermenting and setting a temp profile.
Yes. I think "waiting for peak" is 15 mins. Doing what you are doing will definitely cause it to lose its mind.

At this point you may want to get into the Maintenance Panel - Advanced Settings and reset all of the Settings and Constants to their default values and let BrewPi re-learn the system responses starting with a clean sheet...

[edit] The "Waiting for peak" thing is limited by the "overshoot estimators", with the Cooling estimator max of 1200 seconds and the Heating estimator max of 600...

Cheers!

You should be fine, but if waiting for peak doesn’t have a timer, then it might not be a bad idea to add one. I’ll get that added to the list.

fwiw, was checking all of my chambers and noticed the "Waiting for peak" notice on one of them.
That particular system has been running for close to a year doing duty as a cold-conditioning/carbonation fridge and hasn't had the control parameters manually changed in that time.

brewpi_cooling_peak.jpg

Aaand I just noticed I had left the Heater function enabled even though there's no heater in that chamber. Probably been scrambling that BrewPi instance's mind all this time ;)

Cheers!

Do you mean @LBussy ’s?

If so, I thought I had, but if you’re not seeing it let me know and I’ll work with him to get it added.
@Thorrak any word on this? Just checked and there is still only brewpi remix 2.11 and 2.10 for the revA and recC shields.

Also Does the 2.10 firmware have the screen reset feature i have seen @LBussy talk about. I had it running and i knocked it, and the screen went all funky with !,?,/ everywhere. I let it sit for an hour and came back and it still was funky. But was fine on fermentrack.

Last edited:
@Thorrak any word on this? Just checked and there is still only brewpi remix 2.11 and 2.10 for the revA and recC shields.

Also Does the 2.10 firmware have the screen reset feature i have seen @LBussy talk about. I had it running and i knocked it, and the screen went all funky with !,?,/ everywhere. I let it sit for an hour and came back and it still was funky. But was fine on fermentrack.

The I2C firmware should be added now - and the other firmware I have linked updated to @LBussy 's 0.2.12 release (the most recent).

The 0.2.12 firmware has the reset. If you upgrade you should be fine - Thorrak made that firmware version available to Fermentrack yesterday.

I see it. Just updated both of mine to 0.2.12.

Have y'all experienced when you add a new controller, it loses connection to the other? And you have to restart the pi to get it to connect again? It just happened to me.

Hej! Sorry if I missed the info.... I'm trying to understand if through a tilt connected to fermentrack I could control a esp 8266 to tweak temperature (understand put the heat on or not. )
Thanks!!

Hej! Sorry if I missed the info.... I'm trying to understand if through a tilt connected to fermentrack I could control a esp 8266 to tweak temperature (understand put the heat on or not. )
Thanks!!
Yes you can use an esp8266 built into a controller to control a fermentation chamber to control temp while it is tracking the SG with a tilt. You want to go read both build threads from thorrak day tripper and lbusy.

To keep everyone up-to-date on what is going on, I pushed out some updates to the dev branch over the past few days that now allow Fermentrack to push SG readings from Tilt/iSpindel devices to both Brewer's Friend and Brewfather. This also includes some REALLY neat code from @corbinstreehouse on GitHub which makes installing Fermentrack on MacOS incredibly simple. The full changelog-to-date is below:

[Unversioned] - Brewer's Friend, Brewfather, and MacOS BLE Support
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added
---------------------

- Added support for pushing gravity sensor data to Brewer's Friend
- Added support for pushing gravity sensor data to Brewfather
- Added BLE support for MacOS (thanks corbinstreehouse!)

Changed
---------------------

- Adding an external push target now triggers data to always be sent within 60 seconds regardless of push frequency

Fixed
---------------------

- Disable "View Full CSV" button if gravity/beer logs don't exist
- Properly cleanse booleans when changing site settings for Constance
- Allow updates to controller settings when controller name isn't changing
- Remove requirement for TiltBridge value in the TiltBridge model definition
- Ignore Tilt diagnostic codes that cause erroneous temperature/gravity readings

Yes you can use an esp8266 built into a controller to control a fermentation chamber to control temp while it is tracking the SG with a tilt. You want to go read both build threads from thorrak day tripper and lbusy.
Yes I got it but can I based on the tilt temperature reading trigger a ESP 8266 heater function ON?

I recommend the Tilt for that which it was made. It does an incredible job of tracking your SG, and the new models have a battery life which exceeds one year.

if you are trying to avoid a a thermowell, I recommend you bind the sensor tightly against the fermenter with foam insulation sealing it well.

Thanks! Well so I did went down the road to finally use my fermentrack for more than just log the temp :)

I plugged a relay on D0 for heating.

But running tests it is not working I think...

If I set in Beer Constant mode or Beer Profile and I tweak the beer temperature it doesn't do anything (I don't know if I can find somewhere the state of the relay?)

What it does is that it modify the constant for the fridge - that I don't have and where I don't have any temperature probe...

I'm sure I missed something but what?

I was just expecting the relay to switch on when the temperature was dropping below the constant...

Thanks! Well so I did went down the road to finally use my fermentrack for more than just log the temp :)

I plugged a relay on D0 for heating.

But running tests it is not working I think...

If I set in Beer Constant mode or Beer Profile and I tweak the beer temperature it doesn't do anything (I don't know if I can find somewhere the state of the relay?)

What it does is that it modify the constant for the fridge - that I don't have and where I don't have any temperature probe...

I'm sure I missed something but what?

I was just expecting the relay to switch on when the temperature was dropping below the constant...

Even if you don't have a "fridge", you MUST have a fridge temperature probe in order for a BrewPi controller to work, unfortunately. Cooling won't happen (obviously) but both are required for even heating to occur.

At the moment i have a brew fridge were the heater and cool cycles are controlled via a STC 1000 with the sensor attached to the fermenter. I am in the process of building an ispindel and i am wanting to be able to plot the temp and SG of the brew along with the STC sensor now monitoring the fridge ambient temp on the same graph, whilst still controlling the heat and cool cycles of the brewfridge. Is there a way to integrate this into ferment rack?

Even if you don't have a "fridge", you MUST have a fridge temperature probe in order for a BrewPi controller to work, unfortunately. Cooling won't happen (obviously) but both are required for even heating to occur.
Great thanks! So today I have a probe for outside temperature I should re-assign it as fridge temperature probe and my relay will be alive correct?

At the moment i have a brew fridge were the heater and cool cycles are controlled via a STC 1000 with the sensor attached to the fermenter. I am in the process of building an ispindel and i am wanting to be able to plot the temp and SG of the brew along with the STC sensor now monitoring the fridge ambient temp on the same graph, whilst still controlling the heat and cool cycles of the brewfridge. Is there a way to integrate this into ferment rack?

You can’t integrate the STC’s probe into Fermentrack, but if you build a BrewPi controller, you can stop after adding the controller & temperature sensor and just use it for logging.

Thanks Thorrak I am interested in building a Brewpi form your link below, but i know i have not read the full story but could you tell me how the temp probes would be attached?

First off great work on this. I was working on redoing a couple of old brewpi builds that I have to be internal built in the fridge instead of a control box. I just discovered this and it seems like a better approach to the brewpi. I installed last night and flashed one of my old unos and i hooked up an I2c 2 line display for testing and it worked. So I have ordered a couple esp8266 and some 4 line i2c screens and I am waiting on amazon to deliver. I do have a couple questions though.. is there anyhwere the .ino code is that gets flashed to the esp8266 or arduino as I cant find it. What id hope to do is edit the firmware to be a little more custom without interfering with the normal operation. For instance I would like to add mqtt support to control a couple of pins or even use fermentrack web control could work too. I want to control the light in the fermenter for one and also be able to turn on and off a recirc fan I have inside. The reason Im thinking mqtt is I could incorporate it into my regular home automation network as well for instance "alexa turn off the fermenter light". Secondly to aid in my quest to hack and customize where is the web server files located on the pi? For instance I knew brewpi was /var/www/html. Thanks and awesome work!

Thanks Thorrak I am interested in building a Brewpi form your link below, but i know i have not read the full story but could you tell me how the temp probes would be attached?
Fermentrack is the "front end." It supports either the original Uno or the ESP8266. Either way, the temp probes connect to the controller. The ESP8266 is discussed in this thread and the Uno in the original BrewPi thread. The 8266 requires a small shield, however, the Uno can be assembled without a shield.
I installed last night and flashed one of my old unos and i hooked up an I2c 2 line display for testing and it worked. So I have ordered a couple esp8266 and some 4 line i2c screens and I am waiting on amazon to deliver.
As above, you don't have to leave your Uno behind if you already have it built into your setup. The Uno will support the 4-line screen.
I want to control the light in the fermenter for one and also be able to turn on and off a recirc fan I have inside.
The ESP8266 is a little short on pins ... you won't find an extra for the light or fan. The Uno using I2C does have a couple of extra pins. Right off the top of my head, I'd think you could enable/disable them by using the invert/non-inverted setting. You could send that from the Raspberry Pi however the functionality to automate does not exist as it stands. The Uno is "full", I would not recommend customizing there, but as I said you can issue the commands externally to control the functionality that currently exists.
For instance I would like to add mqtt support
Neither Fermentrack nor BrewPi Remix support MQTT. BrewPiLess does AFAIK, however you might find the interface more sparse than you may be used to. That's because it uses the controller as the webserver as well.
Secondly to aid in my quest to hack and customize where is the web server files located on the pi?
Thorrak used Django for Fermentrack. The files are all in the Python location AFAIK.

I hope that helps. Thorrak is taking a well-deserved vacation so you're stuck with me holding down both shops. :)

Fermentrack is the "front end." It supports either the original Uno or the ESP8266. Either way, the temp probes connect to the controller. The ESP8266 is discussed in this thread and the Uno in the original BrewPi thread. The 8266 requires a small shield, however, the Uno can be assembled without a shield.

As above, you don't have to leave your Uno behind if you already have it built into your setup. The Uno will support the 4-line screen.

The ESP8266 is a little short on pins ... you won't find an extra for the light or fan. The Uno using I2C does have a couple of extra pins. Right off the top of my head, I'd think you could enable/disable them by using the invert/non-inverted setting. You could send that from the Raspberry Pi however the functionality to automate does not exist as it stands. The Uno is "full", I would not recommend customizing there, but as I said you can issue the commands externally to control the functionality that currently exists.

Neither Fermentrack nor BrewPi Remix support MQTT. BrewPiLess does AFAIK, however you might find the interface more sparse than you may be used to. That's because it uses the controller as the webserver as well.

Thorrak used Django for Fermentrack. The files are all in the Python location AFAIK.

I hope that helps. Thorrak is taking a well-deserved vacation so you're stuck with me holding down both shops. :)

It does help I think i found all the source files for the esp flash looks like i can maybe edit the main one include all the libraries and flash if I desire honestly it may be easier to add a second of these cheap wemos with seperate code to do what im wishing with the light and fan so I dont even mess with this source code at all. I know the wemos doesnt have alot of pins but i do have a couple of empty pins left and that should be all I need... As far as using the unos i realize I could still use the unos but then Id be a slave to the usb cable for my pi location which is kinda limiting. Especially in my experience the pi runnning the web server does far bettered in a hardwired location having wireless sensor controllers at the chambers for the meezily price of 10 bucks for a three pack on amazon is a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.. As far as needing a shield Im not sure why you say the wemos need a shield to work and the unos don't? I was able to get my setup going and soldered my own i guess control board on a perma proto 1/4 size. I just powered the ds18b20 with the 3.3 volt source from the wemos instead of 5 since none of the pins are 5v tolerant. The ds18b20s are perfectly happy running on 3.3 volts so Im not sure why a shield would be required.. I just got my setup on my first chamber running I'll post some pictures of the new build later and may come back to adding the hacks and upgrades i wanted later but for now I need to get some much needed beer brewing in this thing..

fwiw, there is no reason an UNO should be enslaved to a USB cable as long as there are Bluetooth and Wi-Fi serial bridges available. I have numerous BrewPi systems running over Bluetooth and proved I can do the same over Wifi...

Cheers!

fwiw, there is no reason an UNO should be enslaved to a USB cable as long as there are Bluetooth and Wi-Fi serial bridges available. I have numerous BrewPi systems running over Bluetooth and proved I can do the same over Wifi...

Cheers!
no doubt you can add those units to an uno and give them that capability.. but in my opinion it was almost just easier and cheaper not to mention smaller form factor and less complexity to just replace the unos outright with the wemos though and use the unos as backups or spares to a couple of other diy projects I have using them that don't need an internet connection... Fear not they won't be wasted.. I just finished my setup on fridge 1 here's a rundown of what it looks like and its features..

and some teaser pics
ferm1.jpg
ferm 5.jpg

Back