Fermenting Wort Calculation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L1truckie

Reaction score
Recently picked up a refractometer and used it in conjunction with my hydrometer on my last brew, all was well and each instrument verified the other, until until today when I went to check my fermenting beer after 16 days.

When I punch in the refractometer reading as just a number IE: 7.5, it coincides with my hydrometer, 1.030 ....but when I use Beer Smith and Brew Calc, turning "fermenting wort" ON and entering the OG it gives me 1.016, which is where I'm aiming for a FG, maybe a little lower. 1.016 would be great, but I know it's not there yet...

I've read that refractometers can be misleading once alcohol is being produced, which is why I thought "fermenting wort" would correct this...obviously I'm not understanding the use of that correction, or use of that tool/calculation...and because both instruments gave basically the same reading while it was fermenting, does that negate the argument of refractometers not being precise during fermentation? Am I an idiot and missing the obvious or???

Btw...the beer is a Saison, started at 1.053 and im thinking it's stuck at the dreaded 1.030 :drunk: fermenting at 90 degrees....I swirled it and am going to wait it out to get real dry. Will check it again in a week.

A day later and no takers....hmmmm.....no one? Anybody? Am I not clear enough? Wrong forum? Lol :cross:

Sounds like you're right on with the refractometer idea of it not always reading already-fermented liquids correctly. Even with the calculator, I've had many misreadings with refractometers. When in doubt, trust your hydrometer.

Back