Fermenting with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm curious about Brett yeast. Have any of you tried mixing Brett with another yeast in primary fermentation? Like WLP 001 and Brett? If so how did it turn out. Did you have to ferment longer?

I have not but heard it has been done before. One brewery I know uses Sacc Trois (used to be thought of as a Brett) with London III for one of their hazy IPAs.

If you add them both at Primary fermentation and ferment the normal 2 weeks or so you would get fruity and tropical notes from the Brett (Depending on Brett used). If you wanted the funk, barnyard aging longer would bring that out or pitching sacc only first and finishing with Brett brings out the funk more as well.

I use brett solo, mixed ferm with LABs and mixed with Sacc. Brett tends to slow things down, but not a ton. Most Brett strains in primary take about a month, but some can take longer. Co-pitching them will generally take that amount of time as well, but again it all depends on the strains you use. IMO Brett is always a welcome microbe, it brings complexity to most beers.

Next week Im making a kettle sour saison that Im co-pitching WY3711 and WLP650 Brett Brux. Hoping the brett brings a little "funk" and Im co-pitching instead of secondary with brett as saison/belgian strains attenuate a lot, so there might not be much for the brett to eat (although they dont need much and can convert phenols produced by Sacc)

Back