Fermenting too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamnRedhead

Reaction score
I've got an IPA in my fermenting bucket (WLP001 yeast), am going to set it into secondary this weekend and dry hop it. However, no matter where I put the bucket, it's hanging out around 77-79 degrees, and the yeast's optimum temp maxes out at 73... should I be concerned?

I would be. Off-flavours from too-warm fermentation temps are rough and some don't age out. Temps are most important in the first 3-5 days of fermentation, so IDK if cooling it down now is going to help, if it's about to go to secondary.

You may get off flavors but the hops in an IPA may cover that up.
The biggest concern on temp is the first few days of fermentation, after that the higher temps will help it clear out, I usually raise temps after about a week to 10 days.

Unfortunately yes. With temps that high you will see fusal alcohol that will give the beer a hot taste. The hops in the beer may help cover it up, but it most likely will have some issues. Look into fermentation control before you do another batch. Good luck.

Unfortunately yes. With temps that high you will see fusal alcohol that will give the beer a hot taste. The hops in the beer may help cover it up, but it most likely will have some issues. Look into fermentation control before you do another batch. Good luck.

This. Because of fusels which generate at temps like that, I would recommend NOT getting drunk on it. If you do, have plenty of water and Tylenol handy.

I've got an IPA in my fermenting bucket (WLP001 yeast), am going to set it into secondary this weekend and dry hop it. However, no matter where I put the bucket, it's hanging out around 77-79 degrees, and the yeast's optimum temp maxes out at 73... should I be concerned?

Yes, that is cause for concern.

Thanks all for the feedback. This is my first batch, and I actually had accidentally cooled the wort too much (75*) before adding yeast, so maybe it will even out? :/

Being that I'm this new, I have had to google all the definitions of the terms used to describe how the beer will turn out. Moving forward I'll be able to know what's good, what isn't, and how to adjust accordingly. Thanks!

75 is not too cool to pitch yeast. You should ideally be pitching your yeast at 62-65 for that yeast and fermenting at the same temp.

Thanks all for the feedback. This is my first batch, and I actually had accidentally cooled the wort too much (75*) before adding yeast, so maybe it will even out? :/

Being that I'm this new, I have had to google all the definitions of the terms used to describe how the beer will turn out. Moving forward I'll be able to know what's good, what isn't, and how to adjust accordingly. Thanks!

If you think you cooled the wort too much when you added the yeast at 75^, I'll bet you are going by the instructions in a kit. Many of those instructions are just plain wrong. To get the best flavor (or lack of off flavors) you need to chill more before pitching the yeast and then keep the beer cool for the first few days. I like to pitch my yeast when the wort is around 60* and keep the temperature in the low 60's for a week before letting the beer come to room temps where I let it sit for another week or more, usually more.

I would look into a swamp cooler or even a cooler bag. Living in Florida, it was difficult to get my fermentation in the low to mid 60's without these items. As long as you learn for every mistake all it will do is make you better.

When I ferment ales I shoot for an ambient temp of about 48F. If you put your beer somewhere 30 degrees warmer, it is going to contain tons of heavy alcohols, esters, and gross phenolic compounds. It won't really resemble beer.

Making good beer at home is all about temperature control!

When I ferment ales I shoot for an ambient temp of about 48F. If you put your beer somewhere 30 degrees warmer, it is going to contain tons of heavy alcohols, esters, and gross phenolic compounds. It won't really resemble beer.

You ferment ales at 48?

Also, most of the ale yeasts advertise fermenting from 65-75 but MOST of them will do fine with temps below 60 at least for the first few days and then finish out really nicely when allowed to raise up the ambient temps.

I've always had really good luck with taping the temp probe to the fermenter and setting the temp at 58 for ales for the first three days and then removing it from the side of the fermentor and letting it raise up to 68 to finish out.

If you are dealing with those temps - brew Saisons... They like the higher temps.

If you are dealing with those temps - brew Saisons... They like the higher temps.

This is what I've done in the summer months. I keep my house at 78F-80F so room temp ale fermentations are out. Saison loves these temps though.

All the Best,
D. White

Well I said 48 F ambient, not 48 F wort temp. That would indeed be too much!

What is your FV like? I use a cooler & ice bottles, I get ambient to 58-60° F and my wort stays between 62 & 64...

:confused:

What is your FV like? I use a cooler & ice bottles, I get ambient to 58-60° F and my wort stays between 62 & 64...

:confused:

I ferment either in a refrigerator or a chest freezer, but in both cases a temperature controller reads from a glass with 4 oz of water, so it is an approximation of the ambient temp.

I am not actually reading the true wort temperature. This is a shame because I have the capability.

I admit I may be way on the cold side but my beers are always tasting great! At those temps I am really only using US05 and S04.

Fill a big Rubbermaid container or bathtub with water and frozen plastic gallon water jugs of water bottles. This should help regulate lower temps.

I don't have the time to run home during the work day, and from my readings (thanks for the ideas!) the vast fluctuations in temps could be even worse, so I am thinking of buying a cool brew jacket. I moved the first to a secondary fermenter and brewed another one yesterday and put it in my kegerator with a couple gallon jugs of ice (not turned on), and it seems to be doing well. The wort is staying around 70-72 degrees. (Unfortunately, once I have kegs, I won't be able to fit the fermenter in as well.)

Hopefully within a couple weeks I'll have a couple good beers on tap! :mug:

I've been seriously looking at getting a Cool Brew jacket... does anyone have experience with these? The reviews seem good.

Latest posts

Back