Fermenting temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflach1

Reaction score
my second beer is in the fermentor right now...a belgain white ale. i'm using the wyeast 3944. according to the yeast package it stated to ferment at 70-75* f. my problem is that i live in an old apartment and during the winter it is hard to keep my ambient temperature above 65* without running up my gas bill(last month cost me $481!!!) so right now the temperature in my closet is 66* f.....is this going to be a problem? if it is, is there anything that i can do to correct this? do i have to give it more time to ferment since the yeast will be working slower? thanks for any help.

not a problem at all. the optimum ferm temp for that strain is 62-74 degrees (according to the wyeast web page www.wyeastlab.com), so your good. it will take a little longer to ferment out, but it will be great! it's always better to shoot for the lower end of the yeast fermentation temp range. remember too, fermentation itself generates heat, so it's probably up around 68 degrees in the fermenter. no worries!

You can always place a very small space heater in the closet set on low so that it kicks in if the temp is to low. Be careful you don't heat it up to much. Use one with a thermostat on it.

You can also rig a digital thermostat to a 120v extension cord if you want to spend some extra cash, that way the temp will be constant and the power used probably won't be all that much. You can also do this in an insulated "box". I beleive someone on here has done that.

There are also electric heat belts available at brew shops that wrap around the carboy.

How about putting a couple T shirts over your fermenter to help keep the heat in? I use a glass carboy, with the glass neck through the sleeve. Two shirts, different sleeves so neck holes don't align. I'm doing this to my secondary, hoping to prevent convection currents so it settles faster/better. Carboy Cozies are on Ebay, look like polar fleece?

i ferment in the basement in the north east of ohio, with the exception of this winter, it's usually really cold. i have an old feather down coat and a few insulated flannel shirts i zip or button up around the carboys. they help keep the heat in during fermentation.

imho, the colder you can ferment the cleaner the taste ;)

it will take a little longer to ferment out, but it will be great

i planned on fermenting 7days in the primary and 7 days in the secondary, as instructed by the manufacturer. should i add a few more days or should this be adequate?

Back