Fermenting slowed down after 1 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewort

Reaction score
I'm brewing a honey ale and the fermentation has slowed down to 6 second "blips" in the air lock. It's only been a week. Is this normal, or does it mean something is wrong?

That's normal. It doesn't mean that it is complete - but the fastest part is at the beginning when there is a lot of sugar.

Don't use your airlock to try to gauge fermentation temp - it's a poor indicator. Give it two weeks total then you can chekc gravity with your hydrometer.

Fermentation is supposed to slow down as the yeast consume more and more of the sugars. I wouldn't even touch it, including taking a hydrometer reading, until it's been in primary for three weeks. Throw a towel over it and forget about it until then.

You're fine, I've had an airlock bubble for a week and a half and I've had an airlock bubble for a day and a half, both beers hit FG just fine and tasted great. There really is non "normal" action for an airlock. No two systems are exactly the same and there are a ton of factors that determine how long or how short an airlock will bubble for, if at all. On the one I mentioned that only bubbled for a day and a half, I got the noob brewer panic after I didn't see any airlock activity after 2 days. So, I popped the lid, just to see what was going on, and there was a beautiful Krausen doing it's thing. that's when it finally clicked, yeah, airlock ativity isn't a good indicator of anything other than there might be gas flowing through the airlock.

Back