fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggy727

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Two days ago I started my first non kit brew. The recipe is for a kilkenney irish red. I had to cut the batch size (with help from my local homebrew store) down to a 2 gallon batch due to me having a junky mr beer fermenter. I am currently fermenting my beer in a closet that has a fairly stable 70º in it. I checked it today and did not see any bubbles in the fermenter. Should I be worried about this? I do not have a hydrometer yet but I do plan on getting one. Secondly I plan on keeping the brew in the primary for 3 weeks, cold crashing for a day or so, then bottling via priming sugar (dissolved in a littlw water). After 3 weeks of bottle conditioning I will chill it for a day or so then try it. Does this sound like an acceptable plan?

Ok. Thanks a lot. My first brew turned out tasting like cider. It was the mr beer light lager. I kinda figured it was just because it was a kit beer with no real additions so I decided to try a real brew still with the dme. I was just getting worried this batch was going to be a fail also. Thanks a lot for the reply, I really appreciate it.

I had that problem with my first Mr. Beer kit as well. I figured it was because of the table sugar they said to prime with. The best way to know if its fermenting is to take gravity reading. If it has not changed at all then its not fermenting.

You can also just look at the surface of your beer. If it is developing a layer of white/off-white foam that is 1/4" - 1/2" thick, you have fermentation.

I did not have much of anything foam wise on top. There did appear to be some residue on the sides above the brew. I know I need better equip but I figured go cheap to make sure I like it. As of right now I'm addicted and looking to upgrade everything. Do hydrometers you can by at an salt water aquarium store or an automotive store work for this as well or are the gravity readings for a different spectrum? My brew store is a bit over an hour away so it is a little bit of a hike.

I did not have much of anything foam wise on top. There did appear to be some residue on the sides above the brew. I know I need better equip but I figured go cheap to make sure I like it. As of right now I'm addicted and looking to upgrade everything. Do hydrometers you can by at an salt water aquarium store or an automotive store work for this as well or are the gravity readings for a different spectrum? My brew store is a bit over an hour away so it is a little bit of a hike.

Please dont rely on Mr. Beer results to decide whether or not you like it. Im not saying the beer is bad, just not as quality as going to the 5 gallon batches of extract with steeping grains. Im not sure on those other hydrometers but I am assuming the numbers would be the same, specific gravity is specific gravity. But the ones specific for brewing have handy marks on them for beer.

I did not actually use anything mr beer besides the fermenter. I steeped grains and used a dry malt extract. I do plan on getting large enough equipment for 5 gal batched but those pieces can get a bit pricy. The biggest problem is my boil pot size for the cooking part of things. I know I know I'm a mess lol.

WyomingBrewer said:
Please dont rely on Mr. Beer results to decide whether or not you like it. Im not saying the beer is bad, just not as quality as going to the 5 gallon batches of extract with steeping grains. Im not sure on those other hydrometers but I am assuming the numbers would be the same, specific gravity is specific gravity. But the ones specific for brewing have handy marks on them for beer.

It's all about the brewer. I have been brewing in Mr Beer for 3 years and have made some of the most incredible beers. You just need to add a blow out and cap the vents. Then use a 2nd for 2nd stage fermentation. It's a nice size for small areas and you can brew just the same.
Mr beer and bucket system or glass system. All the same if you do it right. My red head Columbus ale even won an award at our local brew fair in coral gables fl.

I did not actually use anything mr beer besides the fermenter. I steeped grains and used a dry malt extract. I do plan on getting large enough equipment for 5 gal batched but those pieces can get a bit pricy. The biggest problem is my boil pot size for the cooking part of things. I know I know I'm a mess lol.

6.5 gallon buckets with lids are under 20 dollars.

Its the 2.5 gallon pony keg mr beer fermenter. How do I mod it with a blow off cap and plug the vents? The bucket and a glass carboy are what I hope to upgrade to soon if not only for size. My kettle is a 20 quart stainless with copper on the bottom for even heat distribution.

I had that problem with my first Mr. Beer kit as well. I figured it was because of the table sugar they said to prime with..

This is a bit off topic, but there is nothing wrong with using table sugar to prime with. I do it all the time when I'm out of corn sugar, and I can't really tell a difference.

shaggy727 said:
Its the 2.5 gallon pony keg mr beer fermenter. How do I mod it with a blow off cap and plug the vents? The bucket and a glass carboy are what I hope to upgrade to soon if not only for size. My kettle is a 20 quart stainless with copper on the bottom for even heat distribution.

That's plenty to do a 5 gal. batch, especially if you are doing partial mash or extract. We have a big food chain that sells a lot of bulk foods (Winco) and they sell food grade buckets for about $15. You may have a similar chain in your area. All you need to go to a 5 gal. batch is a bucket, an airlock and a stopper to seal the airlock in the bucket lid. Probably no more than $25 max. and you are ready to go.

It is still early. Another gent said it could just be the initial step in the fermentation. I'm hoping thats true but not terribly optimistic.

I hear that. Hopefully its salvageable and not learning the hard way.

Latest posts

Back