Fermenting hoppy wort HOT with Kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJGeorge

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't seen this discussed before. Is there an effect on fermenting very hoppy wort around (80-95F) with kveik yeast for an IPA? Do you think that this can be a detriment to the hop profile of that wort pre dry hop? I don't think that I have noticed any difference, however, there has to be some science behind it. Your thoughts?

It has been discussed at length in the Voss and Hornindal threads. People say that fermenting hot is fine, but dry hopping that warm is not so good. I personally like kveik better in light and dark styles, not necessarily hoppy styles like IPA. Black IPA is primo, it's also good in a kolsch-style or blonde. But, for me, it clashes with the hops in typical east/west coast IPA styles rather than helps it. But that's just me. Don't take my word as the end-all-be-all, even though I may have, at one time, insisted on that ;)

I don't like Voss flavors at that temp, but try it. I found that even extra dry hops (a lot) did not hide it.

I ran a couple pale ales, not super crazy hoppy, in the high 90s. Like beersrk says above I the dry hopped them at regular basement temps.
I prefer the fermentation at standard basement temps. I was shooting for that pineapple yeast flavor with higher fermentation, which was fun to taste, but doesn’t really go well with the hops I use.

Planning a Pale Ale using the dry Kviek, about 50 IBU using Nelson Sauvin for aroma/dry hop. Will be fermenting in the garage in Atlanta, runs about 80-84° this time of year.
Any thought on that particular combo.

JRE

Planning a Pale Ale using the dry Kviek, about 50 IBU using Nelson Sauvin for aroma/dry hop. Will be fermenting in the garage in Atlanta, runs about 80-84° this time of year.

JRE
Not sure on that hop but I have good beers around 40-50 ibu pitching at 95 and letting it ride, staying in 80’s with no issues. I’ve done the same using noble hops lower ibu the same way with no issues either.

My idea on using the NS hops was they aren't "citrusy" and I gather the Kveik imparts "tropical fruit" notes at warm temps.
Don't want a fruit salad and I am getting tired of grapefruit rind, knowhatimean?

I don’t find it adds enough to be much more citrusy compared to using us-05 with same hop schedule. At least it didn’t for me. I think that’s a bit overblown

JRE
Perfekt combo!
Voss and Nelson Sauvin make perfect match. I've tried different combos.
Ferment hot and put the "dry hops" in at high krausen, beer ready for keg 2 days after. I would reduce the IBU abit.

Perfekt combo!
Voss and Nelson Sauvin make perfect match. I've tried different combos.
Ferment hot and put the "dry hops" in at high krausen, beer ready for keg 2 days after. I would reduce the IBU abit.

I like NS for the same reasons mentioned, and I’m thinking about Kveik. How much dry hops have you used? I’m in unfamiliar territory that early, short, and warm. I typically have 1-2 oz in 5 gal for 5 days for my conventional pale ales.

I’d worry about getting grassy/green flavors.

14 grams for 3-4 days. Never tried it before but the beauty of HB is you can make your mistakes "disappear".
I'll let you know.

Latest posts

Back