Fermenting cabbage in brew equiment closet? Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftTurnOnly

Reaction score
Hey gang.... A bit of an odd question here... My wife is in the process of making home made sauerkraut and is about to open ferment a 5 gallon crock full of cabbage in the closet full of brewing equipment to do so. Now while i'm looking forward to trying it, i'm wondering if the open ferment of cabbage will be bad for the brewing equipment for the next batch of beer yeast wise... I don't have the foggiest idea whether it's a concern or not like if there will be some wild yeast that will contaminate the brew equipment now nor not... lol...

Any way, just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on something like that.... From my wife's perspective, this is probably a bit off topic, but from my perspective, it's all about the beer... :mug:

Thanks gang....
Cheers...

Kyle...

I keep my fermented separate- kimchee, cheese, beer, etc.

The reason is that sauerkraut depends on lactobacillus to ferment the cabbage- and you want to keep lacto away from your brewery! The same reason you shouldn't crush grain where you ferment, actually. I guess the fermenting beer is airlocked, so it'd be ok but I would keep any lacto far away from my beer.

oh man.... i didn't know what it would be, but for some reason, i didn't think of lactobacillus... man... yea.. i'm gonna have to find a new home for that.. She was originally wanting to put it out in an un-heated room/closet attached to the side of the house.... which would be great, but i thought 40*F. might stop the fermenting. I don't know any thing about lacto, but i assume that's probably still true with it?

I'll have to do an emergency cabbage move to somewhere while she's napping now... heh...

Thanks a bunch Yooper!
Cheers!

Kyle...

i've done it before. but I didnt open ferment. I used a 3 gallon bucket with lid and air lock. put my shredded cabbage in and the remains of the yeast cake and about a half gallon worth of just fermented Kolsch over top of it. Worked great and tasted yummy!

I like lacto!

Maybe I should say, I like planned lacto.

Back