Fermenting Beer Causes Dairy Products to Spoil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfrog5

Reaction score
SWMBO just asked me to look into this, claiming all of our cheeses have prematurely spoiled and newly opened milk curdled in 2 hours. Nothing coming up in Google/HBT-search. Is this possible?

We have 2 carboys with a Brown/done and IIPA/dryhopping in the kitchen right next to the fridge. Been living in this new apartment for about 5 weeks with at least 1 beer going the whole time.

Edit: Sometimes have hops in the freezer, but nothing but beer bottles ready to drink in the fridge (no yeast, ingredients)

Anybody had something similar happen, or know how/why it might be related to fermenting beer? I figured it it was related, there must be something on the internet already)

Thanks
Aaron

Unless you have a blow up there's nothing coming out of the airlock but CO2.

Time to bleach the fridge.

Sounds like the fridge isn't cold enough. Put a few thermometers in different spits in the fridge and check them every few hours.

Have you checked your attic for a worlocks? that or maybe like robtotten said your fridge may not be could enough

The only way I have ever heard of beer spoiling cheese is...err...wait...wouldn't this make beer cheese soup impossible to make? seriously, not the beer...is the door on the fridge shut all the way????

uncommonsense said:
I had this problem. Do you have a 3 year old. Mine was going into the fridge and turning it down.

Mine did it with the furnace.. Have a light switch next to it for a main disconnect.. Last week it snowed and thought it was a little cold.. 3am and went to the thermostat and it was 60 degrees.. WTF.. Thought I was buying a new furnace.. Went downstairs and the closet door was open.. Checked everything and noticed the switch was down...

In order for beer to curdle milk in two hours you would have to have an enormous colony of lactobacillus kicking it in your fridge -- I mean a big open jar of it -- and it would have to be over 100F.

It is far, far more likely you bought bad milk or cheese that contaminated the others and/or you have problems with the temperature in the fridge, whether it is the door not being shut, the compressor not working, the internal thermometer is busted, etc.

Back