Fermenting apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleedbluesgtr71

Reaction score
I have a local cider mill like 30 minutes outside town. In they fall they distribute their cider in gallons. I have a 3.5 gallon fermenter. If I santitize the fermenter could I pour the apple cider and 1 pound of brown sugar in there with some champagne yeast and expect something good in 2 months?

Yes, but it'll be much better in 6 months, especially if you hit it with campden tabs, yeast nutrient & an ale yeast instead of champagne yeast. Wait 12 hrs after the campden to pitch your yeast.
Regards, GF.

Why use ale yeast? Seems like that would contribute flavors not wanted in a cider. I've always heard of people using champagne yeast

Trust GF and I...you'll appreciate using an ale yeast. Yes there are alot who do use champagne yeast. I started brewing cider with it but once I tried brewing cider with ale yeasts, that's all I use now. Plus there's sooo many different varieties. Read cvillekevins sticky at the top of this forum. I think the Lalvin 1116 is considered a wine/champagne yeast. Very similar to 1118 that will ferment the f#%k outta anything...including the flavor. Maybe just a lil more tame. What you could do is try a side by side ferment. One with ale yeast and the other with champagne. I guess you have to try it like we all have in order to see and taste the difference;)

Why use ale yeast? Seems like that would contribute flavors not wanted in a cider. I've always heard of people using champagne yeast

Like JtotheA said, champagne yeast tends to strip out a lot of the apple flavour. I used to use wine yeast for cider, but after I tried ale yeast, it's all I use for cider now. IMHO, it makes a better end product. Doesn't strip out the flavour, it's not quite as dry & it doesn't need as much aging.

Try the side by side experiment. Make 2 small batches (1 to 3 gallons), one with champagne yeast & the other with ale yeast (I use Nottingham) & see which one you like best. Make what tastes good to you, that's what it's all about. :mug:
Regards, GF.

Back