Fermenting Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capt82

Reaction score
Sorry in advance, I know this is covered in other threads but they seem to end at "just leave it alone and it will be fine".

I used my first liquid yeast (WL810) and still no yeast activity after 4 days. It's been fermenting at a steady 72*. There was a yeast cake at bottom after 12 hours. I pitched the yeast probably on the cooler side and no starter (I know, I'm still learning). It was aerated before pitching and a little after. I don't have equipment yet to take a gravity reading. (I took the brew now on a budget and learn and pay later approach.)

So what do you think? "Will it be fine" even if yeast never gets active? I get sick at the though of dumping beer, but if I jacked it up I want to move on and start planning the next. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

hard to tell what's going on here. you say that you pitched "on the cooler side" but that you've been "fermenting at a steady 72*" - so you pitched cool and then warmed up to 72? if so, that should have made the yeast happy.

how big a beer is this batch? a single vial, no starter, might be under-pitching. your yeast might still be hard at work growing.

you're fermenting WLP810, San Francisco Lager Yeast, at 72*F? you should keep it under 65. you might get some funky flavors that high up. read other's experiences: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/wlp810-temps-above-65f-37784/

How old was the yeast?

When you say "no activity", do you mean no bubbles? No krausen? Lager yeast fermentation is usually slower and less exciting than ale ferments, so take that into account.

I hope you realize that the upper end of the WLP810 is 65*F. I'd be concerned about getting some funky flavors at 72*F, especially if that's the air temp.

Also, since that's a strain of lager yeast, you ought to have pitched TWICE the amount of yeast than if you had been using ale yeast. One vial of lager yeast into 5 gallons and no starter is a severe underpitch even if the yeast was super-fresh.

Without an hydrometer, you kind of flying blind in this situation. If it really isn't fermenting at all, I'd rehydrate and pitch a packet of US-05 to rescue it, and try to keep the temp in the mid-60's.

This is a 2 1/2 gallon batch. I used 1/2 of the vial. I took the yeast out of the fridge a little later than I wanted. I rushed and it may have still been around 60-65* when I pitched it. I was looking for a lager like beer to make without the ability to lager. Someone recommended a California Common and I found an Anchor Steam clone recipe. The recipe called to ferment from 68-72*.

No bubbles, little bit of krausen, and a moderate amount of Yeast cake. I imagine the us-05 will rescue the beer, will it also change the flavor to a different beer or do you think it will still have a lager like flavor from the WL810?

No bubbles, little bit of krausen, and a moderate amount of Yeast cake. I imagine the us-05 will rescue the beer, will it also change the flavor to a different beer or do you think it will still have a lager like flavor from the WL810?

If there is krausen it is fermenting and you do not need to any more yeast. There could be a leak in the seal preventing the air lock from bubbling as the gas is escaping somewhere else so yes, relax and don't worry all is fine........except for the high ferm temp as that yeast likes it a bit cooler.

I actually have my common fermenting right now at 57 and just about to raise to 64 for a D rest and then back to lagering at 38 for a few weeks. The lagering isn't necessary but I like it:)

The yeast best use by date is April 2014. I didn't know I should use twice the yeast for a lager strain! I've always pitched a dry yeast when I did my IPA's and never an issue.

Since you have something going on, leave it alone for a few weeks.

Sorry, but you're never going to get a "lager-like" beer fermenting with WLP810 at 72*F.

Back