Fermenting A Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyman

Reaction score
I have an extra Firestone Keg. Can I use this keg to finish the lager of one of my beers? Can I remove the gas inlet and attach a blow off hose and let it set in my keezer for the final 3 to 4 weeks? My schedule is ferment at 53 degrees for 7 to 14 days in carboy. Then rack into keg and put in the keezer at 38 degrees for the final 3 to 4 weeks. After that I will rack into another keg for carbonation.

I always lager in my serving keg. I avoid racking two different times this way. Its always worked for me!!

Absolutely. I alternate between that and carboys in my keezer depending on what I've got free.

If it's at a stable gravity, no need to attach a blowoff.
You can actually put it on the gas and not transfer too, if you want. It would help to not have to move the keg, but you can use the same keg for lagering and serving.

If it's at a stable gravity, no need to attach a blowoff.
You can actually put it on the gas and not transfer too, if you want. It would help to not have to move the keg, but you can use the same keg for lagering and serving.

Your saying that I can put gas on after the 7 to 14 days or stable then drop to 38 degrees? I thought you had to wait 4 weeks until carbonation can be put on. Sounds good to me, thanks!

Your saying that I can put gas on after the 7 to 14 days or stable then drop to 38 degrees? I thought you had to wait 4 weeks until carbonation can be put on. Sounds good to me, thanks!

I keg my lagers after the d-rest. Which is usually after 14 days. Then I lager for the time needed ( usually 6 weeks ). I lager directly in my serving keg. A lot less hassels that way!! But I won't added the gas till two week before its done lagering. But I guess you can put it on the gas from the get go am sure no harm will come of it.

Once fermentation is done, Which is about a week or so. I'll rack to a keg. Then slowly drop temp to 32 degrees..Simple process for me.

Back