Fermenter Stirred up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaymzMF

Reaction score
Hello all. Had an interesting thing happen last night as I was about to close transfer a double IPA (heavily dry hopped).
Had been cold crashed to 35 for 4 days in a Spike Flex+. Everything hooked up ready to close pressure transfer to the keg. Only, I forgot to depressurize the keg! Had about 40 psi in it. When I opened the fermenter valve to begin transfer, I blasted co2 into the fermenter. (Yes, the dip tube was pointed slightly down)
Now, I know the beer is fine. I'm curious how long you'd wait cold crashed for the yeast and hops to settle again? I'm thinking they'll settle out fairly quickly since they already did and it's already cold, but I'm not sure. I hope I won't have to wait another several days. What would you do?

I would think having been crashed it should settle out overnight if you keep it cold.

I would think having been crashed it should settle out overnight if you keep it cold.
That's what I was thinking too. I was going to give it at least another 24 hours. Thanks for the reply!

Been there. If it’s still pretty cold the beer will probably settle back out in an hour or so. I’d probably still give it a few more hours. It’s annoying and it might strip some more hop oils when it drops back our but no serious issues will occur

Been there. If it’s still pretty cold the beer will probably settle back out in an hour or so. I’d probably still give it a few more hours. It’s annoying and it might strip some more hop oils when it drops back our but no serious issues will occur
Great, thank you for the reply. I'll go ahead with the plan of trying again tonight. 24 hours still cold, should be good!

Great, thank you for the reply. I'll go ahead with the plan of trying again tonight. 24 hours still cold, should be good!
Did you have to filter out the hops when you transferred or did you just rely on cold crashing and slowly transferring? Also, did you get any grassy flavors from the cold crash with hops in your fermenter?

I currently have only 1.5 oz of hops in my spike flex+ at 70 degrees right now, gonna let that go for 2 days. Then do a 2 day cold crash at 36 degrees and transfer into a keg.

Thanks in advance for any help! 🍻

Back