Fermenter Spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a spigot to my fermenter bucket. However, I'm at a loss when it comes to the height of the install. I've seen people say to use a bottling bucket and to install 2" from the bottom. I'm looking for a good compromise between very little trub and little beer loss (I do 5.5 gallon batches but go straight to kegs, so I lose some anyeays).

I want to be able to do a couple of things with this spigot:
1. Sample for gravity readings.
2. Sample for clarity during cold crash.
3. Siphon to brite tank/keg.

Side note: has anyone tried attaching co2 to their buckets to do a transfer with the spigot?

Hi SkiNuke,

If you want a variety of samples for gravity, clarity, install multiple spigots! One at the bottom, one in the middle. Why not? In plastic, they are cheap. You just have to make sure you clean them really well after every use.

YES I use CO2 to transfer! Saves my back! and it lets me leave the trub at the bottom. If you use your bottom siphon for transfer, you will get cloudy beer and unwanted crap into your secondary or bottling bucket...

hbe co2.jpg

I guess that's my question. How low is too low? I am willing to tilt a bit, if needed towards the end, but I'm tired of using the autosiphon. I was thinking of starting to use a conical, but that seems overkill. Ideally, I'd do everything with the one spigot (less cleaning). How high does a typical yeast cake get after a cold crash?

Another thought is using a low spigot and flush like they do with Conicals. But I feel that the yeast would slowly flow rather than drain once and be set.

I guess that's my question. How low is too low? I am willing to tilt a bit, if needed towards the end, but I'm tired of using the autosiphon. I was thinking of starting to use a conical, but that seems overkill. Ideally, I'd do everything with the one spigot (less cleaning). How high does a typical yeast cake get after a cold crash?

Another thought is using a low spigot and flush like they do with Conicals. But I feel that the yeast would slowly flow rather than drain once and be set.

Since we have all been here, there is a solution to everything. playing with the ideas of conicals? Try the FastFerment!

The yeast cake depends on a lot of factors: did you BIAB? How fine did you mill? did you recirculate to create a top filter? did you use a mash tun and sparg? all extract? Partial? Point is there is no def answer for this... (actually the answer lies with your process and you'll learn that answer over time for your equipment, kinda like the clutch to your car, its different)

If you do not like the auto siphon, co2 is a better way to go than the low spigot. I hate it when I bottle trub... its a disapointment I have to relive with every serving... it also make me hesitant to share it without me delivering obsessive compulsive pouring instructions.... IT'S BEER DAMN IT!

But if ease is what you're after, conical 100%. :rockin:

Last edited:
I quit using a fermentor with a spigot when one unexpectedly broke and spilled 5+ gallons of almost done porter onto the wood floor of the closet that serves as my fermentation room. I always worried about keeping it clean, you can't run star san through the spigot when the bucket is full of beer. I always auto siphon now.

To be honest, when I was saying "spigot" I forgot they aren't ball valves. So yeah they might be a bit cheaper than I was thinking. But I've heard good things from people who have done this with a good quality spigot.

What about installing a ball valve instead? It'll be way more reliable.

Back