Fermenter pail lids with gaskets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekeeperman

Reaction score
It is nice to know what is going on in the fermenter pail
and the airlock is the best indicator.
I've been struggling with the basic no gasket lids you buy from
the online homebrew supply stores for awhile now. Trying to get them to seal
has been a royal PIA.
The solution is at true value hardware stores. They sell a lid with a neoprene gasket for $3.50 . Just have to drill a 1/2 hole in it for the airlock gasket.
Thought this might help other newbs to homebrewing.

The only one I ever had with no gasket was the Brewer's Best ale pail. Couldn't find a sealed lid to fit it. Then it got an infection, so I used that as an excuse to toss it & get the shorty 7.9 gallon one with seal from Midwest.

My 6 gal. pails from midwest had no gaskets on their lids.
Didn't see any at morebeer with gaskets either.
What does a gasket cost,$ 1.00-1.50 ?

I guess Midwest gets those from the same place BB does? I couldn't find seals to fit them around here, but you can try looking? I just bought the shorter one that was listed as having a sealed lid.

It is nice to know what is going on in the fermenter pail
and the airlock is the best indicator.

Actually I find that peeking is the best indicator. And if the lid doesn't seal, peeking is easier. I hate prying off those infernal lids... it can be really difficult. During active fermentation and with reasonable care, there is minimal infection risk, so I don't worry about it. No problems yet.

I have a cheap rubber mallet for tapping them down tight & a lid prying tool for removing them. Cheap & easy from Home Depot, Lowe's, or home brew sites.

Back