Fermenter Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
I purchased a chest freezer a while ago for fermenting. I have had a batch in there for about 4 weeks now. I did primary 2 weeks, then secondary for 2. I also have another carboy in there 2 weeks behind the first. The freezer was set to about 63.

I peeked in today to transfer and my cloth Hauler that I left on the secondary one was covered in fuzzy mold. Quite gross.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Im also a bit concerned about contamination, but if the carboys are sealed with the locks then I would think it is OK.

Sean

I purchased a chest freezer a while ago for fermenting. I have had a batch in there for about 4 weeks now. I did primary 2 weeks, then secondary for 2. I also have another carboy in there 2 weeks behind the first. The freezer was set to about 63.

I peeked in today to transfer and my cloth Hauler that I left on the secondary one was covered in fuzzy mold. Quite gross.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Im also a bit concerned about contamination, but if the carboys are sealed with the locks then I would think it is OK.

Sean

Since the air locks protected it from airborne mold the beer should be fine.

You may want to add something like a Eva-dry Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer to your freezer. It suck up the moisture from the air in the freezer so the mold can't get started. Many including myself use them in keezers to keep moisture in check. It has a window and when the beads change color you plug it in a few hours and the moisture is expelled.

BTW since the Brew Hauler I was using was all nylon I bleached it and ran it though a wash and the mold came off with no issues. Just as you say kind of gross.

Last edited:
I had mold in my chest freezer chamber a few times, it didn't affect the beer.

I have done a few things to prevent mold in there:

1. I use a eva-dry "wireless" dehumidifier
2. Wipe down the outside of the carboy to dry it before putting it in there
3. Put carboys into dry milk crates to promote some air flow
4. After fermentation, wipe down inside of freezer with some vinegar solution.
5. Leave the lid open between fermentations to dry it out (I live in a dry climate).

The problem is moisture, obviously,A fan and a moisture absorbent such as http://www.homedepot.com/p/DampRid-64-oz-Hi-Capacity-Moisture-Absorber-FG50T/100391308

Or a cheaper alternative and what I use
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=crystallized+cat+litter

I made a cloth tube and filled it with the cat litter, works great, I haven't installed a fan and still get some moisture on the walls some times but I used to get puddles.
Every so offen I pull it out and lay it in the sun, which reminds me to go do that;)

Good luck.

Thanks for all the great replies, I love this board!

Ill probably go wireless route, but can put together a kitty litter tube in the meantime. I was hoping to brew again tomorrow and get another one right back in there.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great replies, I love this board!

Ill probably go wireless route, but can put together a kitty litter tube in the meantime. I was hoping to brew again tomorrow and get another one right back in there.

Thanks!

The major complaint I have seen with the eva-dry is capacity, when there is active fermentation a fair amount of moisture is being discharged and overwhelms its size, I quite often have two going at the same time.
If you use the litter make sure its the crystalized stuff.

Latest posts

Back