Fermenter bucket lid rim leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmendres

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing for about a year. I have a Brewers Best fermenting bucket that appears to have a minor leak. During fermentation, I'm seeing the water level in the airlock move, but no bubbles. There appears to be a leak somewhere. It's not coming from the grommet around the airlock. I can smell fermentation faintly from around the rim of the lid. I am thinking about trying to make a gasket to fit in the lid rim. I was considering trying a layer of plastic wrap (Saran wrap). Does anyone have a better solution, short of replacing the lid? I'd like to have an airtight seal.

Have you tried using a rubber mallet or block of wood to "seat" the seal better? I had a lid that wasn't sealed and this helped.

Exactly.. forget about the lid.. You are simply trying to keep air suspended dust, mold, etc out of your beer. The only reason to have a seal, IMO, is to watch the bubbles. If that's your thing.. it's fixable.. Otherwise, brew on..

Goes with the territory on buckets. I use all buckets for fermenters. After a few uses they all leak. No big deal, those yeast are still doing their job in there.

I had a BB ale pail that had no lid seal. Couldn't find a lid to fit that had one. I use a rubber mallet to get the lids down tight. And that prying tool all the sites sell to get the lids off. The ale pail got a bad infection recently,so I replaced it with the shorter,wider 7.9 gallon bucket from Midwest that has a seal in the lid.
The ale pail used to leak around the lid during initial fermentation when a lot of krausen & co2 were being produced.

Thanks everyone.

I think I'll try using a mallet and block to try to seat the lid better first. I just get a little anal about keeping the inside of my fermenter clean and bug free. I couldn't picture how I could get a good seal, but I'll try the mallet. If I buy a new lid, I'm probably just going down the same road 6 months from now. If sealing the lid doesn't work, I think I might switch to a 6.5 gallon glass carboy instead.

Back