Fermented warm...???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My last few batches have all turned out with a very strong juicy fruit gum flavor. Got a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone that is almost sour.
Doing all grain, ferment in glass, cleaned everything super well and was sure to rinse, rinse, rinse. These were from recommendations from other homebrewers.

Now were pointing to the ferm temp being too high. I use the basement as it tends to stay 66-72 year round.
I got a used chest freezer that I plan to use as a ferm chamber.

Is there anything I can do to clean this off flavors out?
Thanks!

There are several things here. It may be a combination. Yeast choice is one. Choose one that is less estery. Hops can have a fruity flavor so you may need to change them. 66 is good if you can keep the wort at that temperature. Fermentation creates heat so your wort could be getting near 76 if you are not controlling the temperature. It at 70 the wort could get to 80 which would cause off flavors.

Best bet is to control your fermentation temperature.

Clean plus rinse, rinse, rinse does not equal good sanitary practices for brewing. You should be using a sanitizer like iodophor, Star-San, or some other "no-rinse" sanitizer.

I agree that your "juicy fruit" flavor is most likely due to fermentation temperature.

Clean plus rinse, rinse, rinse does not equal good sanitary practices for brewing. You should be using a sanitizer like iodophor, Star-San, or some other "no-rinse" sanitizer.

I agree that your "juicy fruit" flavor is most likely due to fermentation temperature.
Yup, I use StarSan for sanatizing on anything that contacts the wort or beer.
The cleaning and rinsing I was more referring to the brewing equipment. Mash tun, brewing kettle, etc. I am using PBW now, in place of oxyclean.

There are several things here. It may be a combination. Yeast choice is one. Choose one that is less estery. Hops can have a fruity flavor so you may need to change them. 66 is good if you can keep the wort at that temperature. Fermentation creates heat so your wort could be getting near 76 if you are not controlling the temperature. It at 70 the wort could get to 80 which would cause off flavors.

Best bet is to control your fermentation temperature.
These were all SA-05.
Should I have a thermowell in the wort ? And perhaps this should be the controlling the ink bird? Or is that just overthinking?

These were all SA-05.
Should I have a thermowell in the wort ? And perhaps this should be the controlling the ink bird? Or is that just overthinking?

I have used different temperature controllers. I started with ice bottles and a tub with water. Then I made a chamber with insulation foam, plywood, 2x4s and a minifridge. Then a chest freezer. I started with the probe taped under a folded wash cloth against the side of the fermenter. I then got a thermowell. It is important that you are measuring the temperature of the fermenting beer, not the ambient air. The Inkbird will be controlling the cooling source, of course.

US05 will give fruity flavors if too warm, I aim for 64 -65F.

The flavor may get weaker with maturation to some extent, other than that there isn't much you can do about it post-facto.

Back