Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefsbrew1

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch of coopers english bitter been sitting in carboy for 2 days (nothing) yeast are at the bottom not so much as a burp, it did take a few hours for wort to get to pitching temp. Forgot hydrometer reading, what to do.

What yeast? What temp? Probably just give it another day and then if there is still nothing gently rouse the yeast and warm it up a couple of degrees.

Is carboy cap/stopper sealed completely? If not the airlock may not bubble.
Was the wort at pitching temp before yeast were pitched? If it is too high it can kill the yeast
What was the date on the yeast package? Dry or liquid culture? If the pack is too old the yeast could have died. Dry yeast have a longer storage life than liquid.

I would consider adding a pack of fresh yeast, now that it is definitely at temp and no other activity is visible from the carboy.

Then you will have potentially over pitched. Like others have said: Give the carboy a gentle swirl, let the temp rise a few degrees, and you'll probably see something soon.

Well air lock just started bubbling(a little) about 1/8 in of foam on top of wort now I think it's working?

Back