Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh990311

Reaction score
I'm making my first batch of beer India Pale Ale by True Brew and I have my brew in my fermenting jug now. My question is how long should my airlock bubble. It stopped after about 30 hours, temp is reading 68 and it's been as high as 74 and as low as 62. My brew shop I got my gear from said to let it ferment for 20 to 30 days. Should I be concerned should I do anything. Thanks in advance

Ignore the airlock bubbles. That is a lousy way to judge fermentation. You need to use a hydrometer to determine how fermentation is progressing. If you don't already have one, they are cheap and essential to the process. You have no reason for concern unless your fermentation has stopped short of its intended final gravity.

Ales typically ferment out in 5-7 days, though it can be longer or shorter based on a whole host of factors. They probably quoted you 20-30 days to give the beer time to clarify after primary fermentation had completed.

Ok Thanks! So it's ok to open up my fermenting bucket to check gravity?? I did get a hydrometer with the kit and did an initial check. Thanks again for the help!!

30 hours is quite short. it's possible that it completed in that time, but chances are better that it isn't.

those temps swings - low of 62, high of 74 - are bad for the yeast. they don't like being cooled like that, it makes them go dormant and stop fermenting. can you move your fermented to some place where the temps are consistent, and ideally at the warm end of that range? maybe a closet? once the brew warms up (can take 24 hours), *gently* swirl your carboy or bucket to get the yeast back in suspension.

more general questions: what yeast did you use? how much? did you make a starter? did you aerate the wort, and if so how?

and, what hunter said - take a gravity reading. then wait 2 days, and take another. that will tell you if you still have fermentation going on, if you're stuck, or if you're done.

Honestly, I'm mostly impressed that the homebrew shop gave you legit directions, leaving it in the primary for 20-30 days is good advice. Kudos to them. Above advice is correct, it sounds fairly typical to me but you need to do something to control your fermentation temps better. When its too warm it can ferment faster, which leads to some off flavors and can give it a strong alcohol smell/taste.

So I just did a gravity read and I'm at 1.02 which is lower than the 1.05 I started at. Brew smells really good now. Not sure of the yeast, it all came in a kit, new to the hobby. The directions were to put 3 gallons of cold water in the fermenting bucket then when the boil was done slowly pour it in the bucket and wait until the temp gets in range, pitch the yeast and wait 10 min then stir twice and cover it. This forum is awesome thanks all for the help. I do now have my brew in a spot where the temp is steady but holding at 68

sounds good, I'd just leave it alone and don't open that bucket for a few weeks. The more you open it (yes I know how awesome it is to look at) the more you expose it to oxygen and potential for infection. Sounds like things are moving along fine though!

So I just did a gravity read and I'm at 1.02 which is lower than the 1.05 I started at. Brew smells really good now. Not sure of the yeast, it all came in a kit, new to the hobby. The directions were to put 3 gallons of cold water in the fermenting bucket then when the boil was done slowly pour it in the bucket and wait until the temp gets in range, pitch the yeast and wait 10 min then stir twice and cover it. This forum is awesome thanks all for the help. I do now have my brew in a spot where the temp is steady but holding at 68
cool, glad to hear things are going well. 1.020 means that is isn't complete, given a 1.050 starting gravity you likely want to get this below 1.014 if not lower. 68 & stable is a much better situation for the yeast.

Back