Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamleescott

Reaction score
Hello all,

Fermentation time...is it as simple as just leaving it two weeks by default or should I be adopting a better practice of taking a FG measurement throughout out the two weeks as a real measure of fermentation being complete?

I'm curious, because can fermentation be fully complete in a shorter or longer period?

Thanks for your thoughts!

In my experience the actual fermentation only takes 3 or 4 days. When I first started brewing I would pull a sample when the air lock activity stopped and it would be at my FG. Then I would close the bucket and let it set another 10 or 12 days before packaging. Now I just wait about 2 weeks (give or take a couple of days) and take a FG and package.

The less you open the fermenter the less the chance of oxygenation or infection. Waiting 10 or more days after fermentation is complete gives the yeast time to finish its work and to allow the trub to settle out.

I think there are a number of things to consider...

What type of beer? - how big? - bigger needs longer.
What yeast and temperature - lower temp will take longer.
Are you going to cold crash? another step in the process BUT will help to clear quicker thus saving time.
Are you racking to secondary? further conditioning can take place therefore not in primary for as long. I do not do this and would just leave in primary for longer.
How are you packaging? - bottling / keg You can cold crash and condition directly in the keg therefore needing less time in primary to settle out (unless you crash in primary.)

I have been brewing English bitters and pale ales with anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks in primary then straight to Keg for a week before drinking. I only brew 3gallon batches and don't want to loose too much to sampling, but if I were to try other styles I would want to have that extra information.
I enjoy my brews from the start but always notice the last few pours are clearer and better tasting. If I had the patience I would leave 3 to 4 weeks in Primary then keg for another 3 weeks and I am sure it would be better.

Simple 1.050 under beers with no dry hopping you can turn around in under a week if kegging. Some yeasts can be slow, higher gravity beers can take a few days longer. Did a lawnmower beer for a party in 5.5 days and everyone loved it. 4 days in fermenter, cold crash, keg, force carb via shaking method and a day for it to rest.

I am only on my second batch, but the recipes I have been exploring typically say that is should be finished fermenting 7-10 days after high krausen. The time does allow for particles to settle, but Chris Walker seems to be on target with what I have researched--there are many factors, including beer type, ingredients, and brew style.

Once your "pipe line" is full you are in no rush. I let mine sit in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks depending on brew and time to bottle. I don't check FG until I'm ready to bottle. As you can see below my pipe line is full w/lots to drink at the moment.

I've never sampled a beer that I've made and thought "If only I'd have kegged it sooner". :D

Dry hopped beers do tend to lose that flavor with age though, but I don't do much of that.

Fermentation might finish in 3-5 days but it takes time for the yeast and debris in the beer to settle to the bottom. You can cold crash and use gelatin to speed things up. There are also off flavors created during the active fermentation. It is up for debate how long it takes for them to go away or if the yeast actually do that. Sometimes fermentation is just slower. So I figure 7 days for the ferment another 3 days to clear up = 10 days. So it is easiest to just wait 14 days then check gravity and package.

I usually have something else going on or just get lazy and 14 days ends up being 15 - 30 days.

Latest posts

Back