Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnewmane

Reaction score
Hey everybody, yesterday I brewed my first ale and was wondering how long it normally takes for fermentation to start. I added the Wyeast around 8:00pm CST yesterday. How long do you think it will be until I start to see signs of fermentation. Thanks!

There are many variables. But usually I "see" signs of ferm in a couple of hours to 1 day normally. What temp was your wort when you pitched the yeast? A cold wort could hinder the ferm process and could take much longer. Too hot of wort can kill your yeast all together.

Be patient, most of my brews take two hours, but the last one took seven to get going. Once read a thread with advice from Revy try looking it up.

My wort was around 75-78 degrees when I pitched the yeast.

If possible, next time pitch with your wort about 10*F cooler than that. Doing so won't delay the start of ferment, but ti will spare you some of the off-flavors associated with pitching in the 75-78*F range.

Sounds like you used a smackpack of liquid yeast. If you didn't multiply your yeast by making a starter, you very likely underpitched which will delay the start of fermentation. Until you get set up to do starters (or want to spend extra $$ on multiple smackpacks), dry yeast is a much better option for most recipes.

Yeah, I used a smackpack yeast packet. I checked my carboy 24 hours after I pitched my yeast and my airlock was already bubbling. Then day 2 I checked again the airlock was bubbling. Today (day 3) I checked the airlock but it wasn't bubbling anymore. The airlock was still tight and sealed properly just not bubbling. How long does a beer usually shows signs of fermentation? Should I be concerned with the airlock not bubbling after 3 days?

Here is a picture of my carboy on day 3. Does everything look good?

IMG_0427.jpg

Looks fine to me. Give it time. Air bubbles in the air lock don't mean fermentation is or isn't happening its just indicates a release of co2. Leave it alone for 7to 10 days and take a gravity reading. That should tell you if your are on track or not. Also during some active fermentation you will see the yeasties swirling around in the wort. That's an indication as well. I normally don't bother looking at my carboy once it starts bubbling for a couple weeks at least. There is really no point for me except to monitor temperature or just entertain myself. After several weeks 3 or more you will have beer even if you pitched too little yeast or fermented too high. Rdwhahb

I have had some English strains finish in under 48 hours but I still let it sit for a couple weeks to clean up. Time is your friend. Let us know how it turns out.

Looks fine to me. Give it time. Air bubbles in the air lock don't mean fermentation is or isn't happening its just indicates a release of co2. Leave it alone for 7to 10 days and take a gravity reading. That should tell you if your are on track or not. Also during some active fermentation you will see the yeasties swirling around in the wort. That's an indication as well. I normally don't bother looking at my carboy once it starts bubbling for a couple weeks at least. There is really no point for me except to monitor temperature or just entertain myself. After several weeks 3 or more you will have beer even if you pitched too little yeast or fermented too high. Rdwhahb

I have had some English strains finish in under 48 hours but I still let it sit for a couple weeks to clean up. Time is your friend. Let us know how it turns out.

I appreciate the help. I'm still learning about everything and it's good to know I'm on track so far. My plan is to go 2 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then 1 week in a keg getting the beer carbonated. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I appreciate the help. I'm still learning about everything and it's good to know I'm on track so far. My plan is to go 2 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, then 1 week in a keg getting the beer carbonated. I'll let you know how it turns out.

If you want to save yourself a bunch of unnecessary work, primary 3 weeks, skip the secondary, cold crash (if you can) then bottle.

I don't secondary just 2 to 3 in primary then force carb for a couple days on ice to speed up carbing then drink. My beers turn out fine. If I ever do a secondary it will be to free up the primary or to bulk age a sour or barleywine or use some fruit in secondary.

bnewmane, no need to use secondary carboy, just use one vessel for four weeks. I used to use a secondary, for the last twenty ales I have used one vessel with excellent results.

Mine stopped bubbiling after 24 hrs it was going pretty good now it has stopped. Guess we will just wait and see....:(:confused:

Had one do that with s04. Went for 24 hours then stopped bubbling. Checked fg after 48 hrs and it was at 1.017 after starting at 1.048. Fermented at 66 degrees. After two weeks it was still at 1.017. Some strains are quick. Remember though bubbles don't mean much besides co2 release. Check your gravity. That will tell your more. Might as well wait a couple weeks though before u do. You will have to wait if it turns out good anyways. Even if ferment is done cleanup process takes a good two to three weeks in my experience.

Thanks for all the feedback! My beer has now been in my carboy for 11 days. Everything seems to be going good so far!

photo.jpg

Latest posts

Back