Fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walcotteric

Reaction score
Is it bad to leave beer in the fermenter longer than intended? For example, if it says to ferment for 2 weeks, and it says in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks, will that be a bad thing?

Is it bad to leave beer in the fermenter longer than intended? For example, if it says to ferment for 2 weeks, and it says in the fermenter for 3-4 weeks, will that be a bad thing?

Nope. Actually when it comes to fermentation treat the directions as a loose suggestion. Ferment until you get consistent gravity readings over 3 days. You can leave your beer on the yeast cake for a while and notice no issues. I have left a beer on the yeast cake for 2 months. Some have left it longer. Some just leave it in primary and include the secondary time anf then package.

In other words... no issues at all. It will be fine. Probably cleaner and better conditioned.

IMO , the yeast is done fermenting when it's reached a stable FG, could be 7 days, could be 2 weeks, the beer is done when its dropped clear and that could be 7-10 days after FG.

My typical beers are packaged no longer than 21 days usually, most in 14 days. This even includes 7 days of dry hopping in primary.

Yeast don't work by calendar. If you properly pitch and maintain proper fermentation temperatures for the specific strain of yeast being used there is no need to go longer than necessary.

In my experience, leaving the beer in the fermentor for a few additional weeks serves to clear the beer much better than if removed as soon as the gravity stops dropping. I've never had a bad experience with leaving it 4 - 5 weeks, and get very clear ales.

Latest posts

Back