Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the homebrew scale, I really don't think fermentation temps are that big of a deal within reason. The brewers I know who keep their house somewhere between 66 and 74 produce great tasting beer that places well in competitions regularly. More specifically, I don't think fermentation at room temps vs exactly a certain temp makes the difference between a great beer and a dumper. Just a good and a great beer.

Sure, if you ferment at 50 or 90 you might have some issues. But hell, I had a fermentation chamber fail on me and a lager ferment at 76 and it came out pretty well. It's a little fruity, but certainly drinkable. So, what do you think?

67601470.jpg

Within reason, I think the beers will more than likely turn out fine. Though a 66F beer and a 76F beer are 2 different beers. One may be good and one may be great. If reproducing a beer you enjoy is not that important then temp control may not be an issue and if a good beer is good enough then have at it.....though for me - Temp Control is incredibly important and not going away.

Consistency is very important to my brewing. You are right though, it all does make drinkable beer. Temp. control makes my stuff much better, without a doubt

For a overly hoppy IPA or roasty Stout you probably won't be able to tell much difference but for a clean crisp Lager temp control is critical.

For a overly hoppy IPA or roasty Stout you probably won't be able to tell much difference but for a clean crisp Lager temp control is critical.

Point taken. The lager I made that fermented hot you can tell that it fermented hot. It's still a pretty decent beer, but some flavors that aren't to style. My main point was that I don't think that perfectly dialed in temp control is the difference between a great beer and a dumper, just good and great.

It may not make as big a difference on some peoples systems but for me temp control made a big difference. I used to ferment in a cool room in the basement where room temp was 63-65F. The temp swings from hot fermentation imparted a lot of off flavors that had to be conditioned out for months. Not saying they were dumpers because I still drank them all. But the quality of beer I get now after I have temp control is like night and day. I can now go grain to glass in 2-3 weeks with clean commercial quality beer IMO. I have even gone as far as brewing a 10 gal batch where half was temp controlled and half was sitting at room temp. Temp control beer came out clean and the non temp control came out with esters/fruity aroma. Definitely different beers.

If you do everything else perfectly (sanitation, aeration, pitch rate), I suppose you could produce very drinkable beer at temperatures on the outer ends of the yeast's tolerance range (indeed, Brulosopher has done just that). However. If you're sloppy/lazy with your temperatures, chances are you're going to be equally lackadaisical about aerating/oxygenating your wort, rehydrating your yeast or building an adequately-sized starter, and so on.

My goal is to make the best beer possible, and in my experience, temperature control makes a palpable difference in the resulting beer.

I have no interest in making beer that is "good enough". I want to make great beer every time, and precise fermentation control is critical towards that goal.

I'm not trying to make ":eek:nestar: drinkable beer" I am making good consistent beer this means temperature,sanitation,O2,ect control.

Temp control is very important. For example when I first started brewing, I heard the " Belgian yeast like it hot" mantra that many repeat without any real world experience. So I brewed up a BDSA and placed it in a 75 degree room. When fermentation took off the temp of the brew got into the 80's. Guess what? Major fusels. I could have sold that to NASA as rocket fuel. Fusels do not age out, so that brew was basically undrinkable. Luckily that beer works great in cooking. I use it to braise duck legs and thighs and it is awesome. So a not drinkable beer has it's use, but not what I was looking for.

So just fermenting at room temp will not work for the best brew you can brew. Controlling temps also allows you control flavor. and attenuation. I almost always start my ferments at the low end of the yeast recommended range and then often slowly ramp it up as fermentation slows. This gives me the flavor profile I am looking for most of the time. IN the winter time my basement stays right aroud 60degrees. This works great for a lot of beers, but not for something like a saison using 3724.

So you cannot say that just throwing a beer in the ambient temp works all the time.

Back