Fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHeartburn

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a basement where the temp is about 14C.
I was wondering if its ok to put my fermenter in there for a week, and then move it up to my living room, where the temp is 20C, and let it sit there for another week? Or should I just let it be two weeks in the basement?

I usaly just use US-05 and S-04, and both can handle the low temp., but just wanted someone else's opinion.

Cheers - Ray

Well,since 14C = 57.2F,that's right at or just below US-05's minimum temp. The 20C room (68F) would be way better in my opinion,especially with the S-04.

Thanks for reply :)

Yeah, i know its close to minimum temp., but figured i would get a cleaner fermentation if i let it sit at 14C (57,2F) during high krausen, and then move it up to 20C (68F), for the last week, so it can finish up. If i have it at 20C during high krausen, won't the beer be closer to 24C (75,2F)? Im afraid that would make it to fruity and estery, or?

You might do OK with Nottingham at your basement temps. It seems to like it on the cooler side, almost down to lager temperatures. I agree that S-04 and US-05 will probably struggle with it that cool.

You might also try Saflager S-23. I recently learned that, although it is a lager yeast, it is sometimes used in California Common beers. The labeling indicates that it would do well at those temperatures.

Back