Fermentation Temperature Too Low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunward33

Reaction score
I have a small concern. I just started an American wheat ale with Wyeast american wheat yeast. The optimum range is 58 to 72, but my house (old house with no AC) is 78 during the day and my cellar is 56 at night.
Where is the best place?
I'm worried that too rapid an attenuation could produce off flavors, but that the colder cellar could crash the yeast and stall.
Other than moving my car boys up and down the cellar steps each night and morning what's the best solution?
I should mention that they're in the cellar right now wrapped in a comforter.
Thanks!

Fermenting colder beats too hot! I'd keep it wrapped in the basement for the first 4-5 days, then bring it upstairs to finish up. The first few days are the most important. If you ferment upstairs at 78 ambient, it could easily climb well over 80 in the fermenter.

Build a platform on the stair that is about 64*F. LOL Sorry...really colder is better but it will take a lot longer than usual to finish.

Damn C-Rider. I was ready to start drawing up plans!
But seriously, dropping into the lower mid 50s won't run the risk of a stall?

If you are willing to drop a few bucks on making really good beer, temperature control is critical so get a tub big enough for your fementer, a temperature controller (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=stc+1000&_sacat=0) and an aquarium heater (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=aquarium+heater&_sacat=0) and do your fermenting in the basement. Set your fermenter in the tub, add water until it is just below the level of the wort in the fermenter so the fermenter won't float around. Put the aquarium heater in the tub of water and attach the probe for the controller to the fermenter just above the water line. Set the temperature you want for the ferment and let it set.

You could do a swamp cooler. A vessel big enough for your fermenter and water a third to half way up the fermenter. Then either add ice bottles to cool or hot water bottles to heat. Keep the wort temperature in the mid sixties.

That's a great idea rm, i wish i could like it more than once, i've got a great cellar, but it's too low for ale, and in winter almost too low for lager ;D

Fortunately for you, it's much easier (and cheaper) to heat than to cool. In a cold basement, you can rig up an insulated fermenter box with a small heat source inside plugged into an STC-1000 controlled outlet box.

My basement gets cool in the winter. Low to mid fifties. What I do is set my fermenter on a stool to get it off the floor and place it near my hot water heater and furnace. There it is several degrees warmer and it works out great.

Cellar to start. Fermentation activity will add a couple degrees, and you're sure to be 58+ during the really active phase. When activity starts to slow down, move it upstairs.

Yeah, consider yourself lucky that your problem is that it's too cold for fermentation in your cellar. I live in a 3rd story walk up and it gets up to 90F up there in the summer, even w/ my 2 window AC units running on high. Too Cold is better than Too Warm when it comes to ferm temps.

Thanks everyone! I really like the tub and aquarium heater idea.
Although, yesterday I bought a fermometer sticker strip and put it on the bucket. I wrapped them up in a big comforter and this morning even though the cellar was 57 the fermometer read 68. As long as it's fairly accurate I think I'm good.

Thanks everyone! I really like the tub and aquarium heater idea.
Although, yesterday I bought a fermometer sticker strip and put it on the bucket. I wrapped them up in a big comforter and this morning even though the cellar was 57 the fermometer read 68. As long as it's fairly accurate I think I'm good.

If the cellar is only 2 degrees the yeast will easily make it above the recommended 58. This is just about the same issue I have but I keep stuff in the basement.

On a regular basis I get active fermentation below the recommended temps. Ambient temp is much different than the temp in the fermenter as you found out.

If the cellar is only 2 degrees the yeast will easily make it above the recommended 58. This is just about the same issue I have but I keep stuff in the basement.

On a regular basis I get active fermentation below the recommended temps. Ambient temp is much different than the temp in the fermenter as you found out.

I did the same thing on my last batch. Bottom end of the temp range was 60, I started it at maybe 57 and it started just fine. By the time fermentation was really active, it climbed up to 64.

With your batch, if it's 68 and the insulation keeps the temp there, it's certain to climb into the low-mid 70s when fermentation gets going. I'd definitely let it cool off a bit.

Cellar. Id wrap the carboy, and get a heat lamp bulb (cheap at your local TSC) and use that to keep low 60s. One the yeast get active, you will get some thermal activity from within the carboy. As stated, after a few days, bring it upstairs to help finish attenuating and clean up.

Back