Fermentation temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda76

Reaction score
Ok. Expanding my fermentation set up from a closet to the basement. The only worry I have is that the temp in my basement. It's between 63 - 65*F. Right now I'm fermenting at approximately 68 - 70*F.

Is the 63 - 65*F range to low?

Thoughts?

depends what yeast it is.iIwould like that range but mine is usually 65-8.

For most ale yeasts, 63F should be fine. Keep in mind the fermentation will raise the temp in the fermenter by as much as 6 degrees. You could even go as low as 58F ambient temp and still have fine fermentation if not better.

Perfect. Thanks for the quick posts. I'm not at the level if getting different temps for different beers yet, but you know how it goes. With every beer it seems my set up is expanding.

Since my last post I took a few more readings and it's still in that range. Above 60 below 66.

Thanks.

Ok - but the ambient temp is just as important as the FLUCTUATING temps. If you are fluctuating a few degrees that'll be fine - but wild fluctuations (8 to 10 degrees or so) will have an impact on the flavor.

Back