Fermentation Temperature Control Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sotty

Reaction score
I currently run a keezer for temp control. It has been a hot summer and I have been hesitant to move my fermenters out of the keezer for fear of off flavors until I am ready to bottle.

This has put a bit of a crimp in my brew schedule.

When can I move fermenters out of the fermentation chamber without risking significant off flavors? I would like to move them out while I am waiting for them to clear.

Current max temp (mid day high) in my house is about 90 F (32-ish C). I don't use AC.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

I would think it OK to move the beer to the 90 degree ambient when fermentation is totally done. I would give it a few days after you reach FG.

However, I think that temperatures that high are not optimum for the beer. Turn on the A/C! That way you can stay cool and have better beer.

LOL - yeah it is hot. AC is expensive here, and not really needed most of the time. The AC issue is that I live in a 4 story condo with an undersized AC unit and it is ridiculously expensive to run (~$300/mo increase in electricity bill).

Thank you for your input.

That's what I was thinking, that it would be ok once FG was obtained.

Thanks

Is there not enough room to leave it in there while your next batch ferments?

Even my tiny 5 cuft chest freezer can fit two 6 gallon carboys, albeit the top doesn't close all the way with the airlocks on. This doesn't really matter though. I leave it cracked open anyways to prevent mold growth and stanky smells.

Noob question here...

Are folks who are using a keezer, old refrigerator (mini or standard) just using something like ThermoStar Temp Controller to regulate the temperature inside the keezer or fridge when fermenting or is it more complicated than that?

I too live in an area where the summer temps outside are HOT (read 100F +) and the inside temps, even with the swamp cooler running 24/7 get into the high 70s or into the 80s, 90s inside are not unheard of if it is over 115F outside and the humidity breaks 10%, the swamp just doesn't keep up.

Anyway, this has made me think twice about getting into home brewing more than once. Do I need to invest in a 2nd refrigerator or freezer with some sort of temperature controller to ferment in given the climate I live in? Even if I wait for winter, no cellar and then keeping the heat turned down so it doesn't get above 70F in the house doesn't seem like much fun either.

Awaiting return fire.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/thermostar-dual-mode-digital-temperature-controller

Noob question here...

Are folks who are using a keezer, old refrigerator (mini or standard) just using something like ThermoStar Temp Controller to regulate the temperature inside the keezer or fridge when fermenting or is it more complicated than that?

I too live in an area where the summer temps outside are HOT (read 100F +) and the inside temps, even with the swamp cooler running 24/7 get into the high 70s or into the 80s, 90s inside are not unheard of if it is over 115F outside and the humidity breaks 10%, the swamp just doesn't keep up.

Anyway, this has made me think twice about getting into home brewing more than once. Do I need to invest in a 2nd refrigerator or freezer with some sort of temperature controller to ferment in given the climate I live in? Even if I wait for winter, no cellar and then keeping the heat turned down so it doesn't get above 70F in the house doesn't seem like much fun either.

Awaiting return fire.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/thermostar-dual-mode-digital-temperature-controller

Lookup InkBird. They make a 2-stage temp controller (similar to the one you posted, but half the price and better). Basically, you set the desired temperature and when it gets too hot it activates one of the outlets (connected to the keezer), too cold and it activates the other outlet (connected to a heater inside the keezer or a Fermwrap). Takes all of the guess work out of maintaining fermentation temp.

Thanks Petrol.

Another noob question...

What about... I don't know the right name for them, so I'm going to call them "carboy cozies"... these big insulated bags you can get in various sizes (I'd guess) and put the whole carboy in along with some ice packs that get swapped out daily or ever other day, does that work?

Or putting the carboy in a pan of water with a wet towel wrapped around it? Water evaporates off of towel, towel wicks up water for more to evaporate.

Would either of those methods get someone started and let them make non-skunky tasking home brew living in a place where indoor temps are in the upper 70s - 80s during the heat of the day this time of year and will be for another couple of months? Or are they only marginally effective?

Anyway, I'm trying to noodle through this in my head before jumping into the deep end and buying another fridge or freezer and some fancy temp controller doo-dad. OBTW, the garage (un-cooled) is even worse. :confused:

Noob question here...

Awaiting return fire.

Inkbird with a small chest freezer. In the winter my basement is perfect for fermenting, (we keep our heat low), but come summer even with the AC there is no way I'd want to brew without some type of chamber. Lets you dial things in and not have to worry, set it and forget it.

Thanks Petrol.

Another noob question...

What about... I don't know the right name for them, so I'm going to call them "carboy cozies"... these big insulated bags you can get in various sizes (I'd guess) and put the whole carboy in along with some ice packs that get swapped out daily or ever other day, does that work?

Or putting the carboy in a pan of water with a wet towel wrapped around it? Water evaporates off of towel, towel wicks up water for more to evaporate.

Would either of those methods get someone started and let them make non-skunky tasking home brew living in a place where indoor temps are in the upper 70s - 80s during the heat of the day this time of year and will be for another couple of months? Or are they only marginally effective?

Anyway, I'm trying to noodle through this in my head before jumping into the deep end and buying another fridge or freezer and some fancy temp controller doo-dad. OBTW, the garage (un-cooled) is even worse. :confused:

What you described is referred to as a "swap cooler" on here. That's what I did for my first ~5 brews. I put the carboy in a tub of water and either wrapped it with a wet towel or put ice in the water to cool it down. The additional water also helps to stabilize the temperature. The issue is you still have to check it multiple times a day. Whereas with the chest freezer and controller you can let it go forever.

I just finished my chest freezer fermentation chamber recently. Got a 5 cu ft freezer when it was on sale at home depot for a little over $100 with sale and coupon. I used the Inkbird on both my Keezer and Ferm chamber and it works great. I use a big mouth bubbler with a spigot so I got a thermowell that fits the inkbird probe to take the temp of the wort and also got a heat wrap. I have the inkbird set to a 1 degree temp difference and it has worked out great. Is really helpful since with the hot temps my ground water will not cool the wort down to much below 75 degrees. I can put my wort in at 80 degress and let the chamber bring it down to pitching temps before I pitch. The inkbird has done great to keep the temps spot on with the heating and cooling. Total cost was less than $200 for everything and now I will not only be able to keep my fermentation temps in check but can also lager all year round now.

Another vote for chest freezer and Inkbird...I even looked into building the temp controller using the stc 1000 and by the time you buy everything, you paid for the Inkbird (or close anyway). Like $39.00 on Amazon with free deliv if you're Prime....Check craigslist for used Chest Freezers. Had a buddy give me one and another I was able to buy almost brand new for like $60. Made one into a keezer and the other is a ferm chamber.

Just be sure to put the probe in your most active fermentation if you are fermenting two at the same time!

I got a small chest freezer for fermenting with an inkbird temp controller. Works great! Only thing is...consider how much you will be brewing.

I started brewing a 5 gal batch, then realized hey it's only about 20 mins more work to brew 10 gals...and then I had 2 ferm buckets. Since brewing all grain can be an extended day..I realized I can do back to back brews and save the additional setup/cleanup times...and also double that batch from 5 to 10 gal..and now I have 4 ferm buckets and wish I hadn't bought such a small chest freezer. (Plus if you brew good beer you seem to find more friends that want to come over...cause they care about you and dont want you to drink alone). Point being..if you have any idea of what you're future brewing habits might be it could save you some $$ in the long run.

LOL, yeah mine is old and was undersized when put in. New AC is damn expensive, and I live in Michigan so I don't need it often. It is on the list of improvements, but it is an easy one to put off until later.

Latest posts

Back