Fermentation Temperature – Pt. 5: Lager Yeast (Saflager 34/70) | exBEERiment Results!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
When the last fermentation temperature exBEERiment failed to achieve significance, we wondered how far we could push Saflager 34/70 before it produced a noticeable difference. In our quest to better understand the impact of fermentation temperature, we compared a batch fermented at 82˚F to one fermented at 60˚F. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/18/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

Marshall, was there any preference among those who were able to distinguish between the samples?

One thing I've taken away from the ExBeeriments is that often there may be a difference between the two beers but which is deemed better is not clear--some like the one, some like the other.

Of the 21 tasters, 12 could distinguish between them, but 9 could not. Of those 12, was there a preference?

As I've noted before, I love the willingness of people like yourself to experiment and then share the results with others.

I've actually used exbeeriments in my class (statistics) to show the difference between statistically-significant and substantively important. As a suggestion (and again, not being critical, I love that you do this), you might consider adding a preference column or data point or some such that shows whether there is a preference, and whether that preference is statistically-significant. Hard to show with very small samples, but I hearken back to some of what you've done in exbeeriments, where you said you could distinguish between the two beers, but you had no preference finding each delicious.

I'm thinking out loud here a little bit, but it seems common to find a process difference people can detect--BUT, it's not something that makes the beer terrible--just different. And some like the one but not the other.

[I can imagine an exbeeriment where 16 out of 20 could distinguish between the two beers--but 8 prefer the one while 8 prefer the other. What would one take away from that? Me: the process produces a difference but the results depend on what you like. Ergo, no difference.]

When I look at the exbeeriments, I like to examine whether there was a difference that could be detected--AND whether that difference was related to preference. For example, this exbeeriment shows people can distinguish between the beers, but as far as preference....

http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/21/dry-hop-quantity-a-little-vs-a-lot-exbeeriment-results/

Anyway, my sober ramblings for the day.

Marshall, was there any preference among those who were able to distinguish between the samples?

Sorry for the late response, got caught up with "real life" stuff. I updated the article to reflect preference ratings:

When those who were correct on the triangle test were asked which beer they preferred, 7 selected the warm ferment sample, 2 chose the cool ferment beer, 2 felt there was a difference but had no preference, and 1 thought there was no difference.

Cheers!

Interesting... I have a friend who won't go near ales so this may let me brew a lager for him at my ale fridge temp of 65-68 degrees! He is not a fan of hops, poor guy doesn't know what he is missing out on!

Latest posts

Back