Fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
I am brewing a saison all grain kit. Instructions say to ferment 5 days @ 74-78. Then 5 @ 62-64. The yeast is muntons active brewing yeast.

Muntons says 64-70F. Should I stick to recipe instructions?

I noticed the guy was having hard time finding yeast for my kit... and wonder if he just threw a sub in?

I agree with following the yeast instructions.... That sounds like he subbed in a non-saison yeast though, and that's where a lot of the character of a saison comes from.

sounds like he subbed in a non-saison yeast though, and that's where a lot of the character of a saison comes from.

I thought the same thing. Quite BS if he didn’t tell you he was switching the yeast. Saison yeast is where a lot of the flavor comes from. Additionally, fermenting what I’m assuming is an British ale yeast (Muntons) at saison temps will be less than desirable. And the LHBS salesman undoubtedly knows that.

Yes I know... I was suspicious when a coworker could not find yeast. Owner came in... looked around then threw a pack in. Yea kinda pissed... he lost my business for good.

But I screwed up the mash temp a bit. It's a 1 gal batch ... kept kettle in oven to keep warm... at end of 60 min temp was 158F. Was targeting 153... fist time with this process and learning!

It's a 1 gal batch ...

Yea kinda pissed... he lost my business for good.

Personally, I wouldn't walk away from a local resource over a single package of yeast for a one gallon batch of beer.

Without a full recipe, it's hard to speculate as to how the beer might taste. It won't be a saison, but it may be a good beer anyway.

One of the great things about cooking (or building) at home is that you have the ability (and the responsibility) to control what goes into the thing being made.

Well I watched the owner do this after he was looking for yeast... he just tossed it in there. He knew the batch would be screwed up due to it... and didnt care or say anything. I'm not ok with that, certainly isn't a way to earn a customer's business.

Back