Fermentation Temp: Rock and a hard place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear419

Reaction score
I am stuck with two less than idea temp control situations and want to know which is best for ale.

Case 1: No temp control. The ambient temp is usually between 68 and 70. My fermometer on the side of the ale pale reaches between 74 and 76 and stays there for 3 to 4 days (though I suspect the inside temp is several degrees higher) then temps slowly fall back to room temp.

Case 2: I do the water bath method. I can really only count on being there to add ice in the morning or evening, so frequent micro adjustments are not possible. The water temp will slowly rise and fall between 57 and 64 over the course of about 12 hours. The fermentation temp probably changes slightly less due to the insulation of the bucket.

So given these two alternatives which is likely to result in the best fermentation. The fermentation on the warm side or the cooler fermentation with larger temp swings? :confused:

For a cleaner flavor profile, I'd go with the water bath option. The answer somewhat depends on the yeast strain and beer style. For cleaner profiles, I often ferment low high 50s or low 60s with California, Edinburg, or Nottingham.

My two cents would be the cooler side, especially if you're looking for a cleaner ale. This is actually no contest to me. The fermenting beer will have a large thermal mass too, so I doubt it swings as much as your water bath does.
What are you using for a water bath? Maybe try something insulated (like a cooler) to minimize the temp swings.

Thanks. FWIW I am using the ringwood ale yeast right now, which says it is okay up to 74*. I do want some esters, but the room temp fermentation had me worried about over production of esters and fusel alcohol.

water bath in a cooler here. It does keep the temp more constant using the cooler and you don't have to micro manage you ice bottles either.

Take your tee shirt off and slip it over your fermenter. Then put the fermenter into the water bath. If you blow a small fan over this you have an evaporation cooler and it will knock 5 to 10 degrees off your fermenter. Good luck, Mike

As others have mentioned, do the water bath. The water temp may vary, but if you change the ice twice a day your beer temps shouldn't vary by more than a couple degrees which will result in a better beer.

water bath in a cooler here. It does keep the temp more constant using the cooler and you don't have to micro manage you ice bottles either.

This. the cooler and the mass of the water will stabilize the temp. You will not get big swings. Just add ice occasionally to keep it at the temp you want.

Latest posts

Back