Fermentation temp dropped for 4 days - is all OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently brewed an AG IPA w/US-05. I pitched, threw it in the fermentation chamber, noticed visible signs of fermentation the next day. ~36 hours after I pitched, my temp controller failed, and the temperature dropped to ~45F for 4 days (I was away for work and I couldn’t get to it). After 4 days, I raised the temp back to the normal range, and the yeast woke back up (according to the airlock). I’ve never had this happen to me. Any thoughts on how this massive temp swing will affect the taste? I’m not super worried about it, since I was able to wake the yeast without a problem, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences?

I'm gonna say you're probably ok...US-05 in my experience is pretty durable and since you went down in temp instead of up I don't believe any off flavors will appear...I like fermenting at the lower end and then raising the temp at the end for the yeast to clean up...only way to tell of course is to taste!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Seeing that the yeast started back up you will be fine, you would have to drop below freezing to kill it and you won't get any off flavors because all that happened was your yeast went dormant for a bit. Sounds like all will e safe :)

Brew on!!!

I can't say about 05 but the english yeasts when fermented below their range, can result in phenols coming thru. Those were fermented that low, yours might just have gone to sleep so no off flavors.

Back