Fermentation temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
So I just got back from a deployment and moved into a new townhouse with a garage! I'm stoked about the new man cave/ brew location, but I live in northern Washington and the temps are in the low fifties in the garage, which is about the only place that I have to ferment in. What types of temperature control devices do you all use? I have seen the brewbelt thing, but is there any control of the temperature ? I don't want to continuously monitor and adjust things. I would like to find a way to keep the bucket in the low 60's. Thanks!

Screw the brewbelt -- make lagers!! Count yourself lucky.

If you MUST do ales, one option would be to put the fermenter in a water bath (party bucket) then use a submersible (aquarium style) heater attached to a thermostat. I'm sure guys must do that. The easier but probably less accurate way would be brewbelt or seed germination mat plugged into a thermostat, with the probe insulated & taped to the fermenter. Seems prone to error, though.

This is what I use:
image-2859621658.jpg

+1 to using an aquarium heater with a built in thermostat in bucket of water. It works great and is cheaper than just about anything else. In fact I actually have 3 aquarium heaters. If you do multiple batches it will let you keep the fermentation at just the right temperature for each individual beer.

An enclosed space will do nicely. My brother built one with simple 1.5" or 2" thick insulation and a light bulb hooked up to a temperature controller. If you have a spare fridge that'll fit you fermenter, that'll work even better.

Get yourself an aquarium temperature controller and make an enclosed space and you're golden.

I would just find a box that can be sealed such as a cooler or even a build your own... a refrigerator would be even better (what I use), and plug a black light bulb into the heat end of a temperature controller and let the fridge control the cooling end. Place a shirt over your carboy so no light gets through and you are golden. See my sig for building a temp controller or search for androids "ebay temp controller" post.

Back