fermentation temp/beer temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyb332

Reaction score
So yesterday I brewed a 2.5 gal. Batch of chocolate stout using DanStar Windsor yeast. I may have over pitched by about 10 to 15 percent which I don't think is a big deal but I have a question about the fermentation temperature of the beer itself.

I'm fermenting in a regulated fermentation chamber at 66 degrees F. This morning when I checked the temperatures my chamber was at the right temperature but the beer itself was at 72 / 73 degrees. Everything indicates a super healthy fermentation going on.

My question is should my target fermentation temperature be that of the chamber or the beer itself? Meaning, do I lower the chamber temperature so the beer is down near 66 degrees or does the chamber itself just need to stay at 66?

Thanks for any input.

Ferm temp is the temperature of the beer itself, not ambient temp. Try to set your chamber about five degrees below your target ferm temp. I wouldn't necessarily lower the temp on your current batch because some yeast strains can be finicky towards changes in temp, and you might cause it to stall out. I would say for this beer you should be ok. The stout should cover up most of the esters formed at the warmer temperature, and you may even find some desirable.

Latest posts

Back