Fermentation taking forevvveeerrrrr...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcarmack

Reaction score
Brewed a maibock five weeks ago, pitched with some WLP820 I had harvested from my Oktoberfest batch last fall. I made a starter of course, but because it was harvested I really can't say exactly how much I had, but I do believe it was a slight underpitch.

Fermentation at 55F started up nicely and progressed well...and kept going...and kept going...and finally after 3.5 weeks the bubbling was ot persistent, so I opened up the freezer for a diacetyl rest. After warming up, the bubbling started up again...and it keeps going, and going...a week later it's bubbling every couple seconds, like it's not even close to being done!

It's done when it's done I suppose. Just venting, I don't think anything is wrong, it's just sloooow...I had meant to be lagering two weeks ago...

Brewed a maibock five weeks ago, pitched with some WLP820 I had harvested from my Oktoberfest batch last fall. I made a starter of course, but because it was harvested I really can't say exactly how much I had, but I do believe it was a slight underpitch.

Fermentation at 55F started up nicely and progressed well...and kept going...and kept going...and finally after 3.5 weeks the bubbling was ot persistent, so I opened up the freezer for a diacetyl rest. After warming up, the bubbling started up again...and it keeps going, and going...a week later it's bubbling every couple seconds, like it's not even close to being done!

It's done when it's done I suppose. Just venting, I don't think anything is wrong, it's just sloooow...I had meant to be lagering two weeks ago...

What's the gravity measurement? Sometimes temperature fluctuations can cause "bubbling" of the airlock but the beer is done.

Is there still krausen? Give it some time to be safe.

What's the gravity measurement? Sometimes temperature fluctuations can cause "bubbling" of the airlock but the beer is done.

Is there still krausen? Give it some time to be safe.

Yeah, still a little bit of krausen. I haven't taken a measurement, I'll do that in a couple days if it still hasn't stopped.

My guess that your fermentation is long done and any bubbling you are seeing is mostly from the temperature changes. Take a gravity reading. Sometimes you will have a little bit of stuff floating that will never fall.

If 820 is like 810 it will out gas for an eternity. 810 seems to out gas every time the temp changes or i move the carboy.

Yep, looks like you guys were right. Measured gravity was 1.016, BeerSmith was estimating 1.021. So it's probably been done for a couple of weeks and I've been waiting for bubbling to stop like a sucker!

Time to rack and start lagering! Thanks all. :mug:

Back