Fermentation taking along time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caddiemike

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a Belgium trippel. Twenty nine day later it still bobbing away. Is this normal. 10gl 30lbs of grains 2 packs of triple double Imperial yeast?

I agree 29 days is a very long time however, from their website “Keep an eye on Triple Double, it likes to sit on top of the wort throughout fermentation which may result in a slower than normal fermentation”.
Are you using the 200 billion cell packs for a total ideal pitch of 400 billion or did you make a starter? Have you used an online pitch calculator to see what the recommended cell count would be for your batch size and gravity?

I'm fermenting a Belgium trippel. Twenty nine day later it still bobbing away. Is this normal. 10gl 30lbs of grains 2 packs of triple double Imperial yeast?

It is probably fine, that is a pretty heavy grain bill, it will take some time to work out. What is temperature of fermentation?

How did you store the yeast prior to using it? I noticed that they say not to freeze it.

STORAGE:
Refrigerate until use. Do not freeze.
Cellar Science Cali

I've seen similar suggestions by other yeast makers as to not freezing. But I know plenty here that do freeze their yeast and have no issue. But it would only take one in many to make their suggestion to not freeze valid, if those that just refrigerate and have no issues is a even greater number.

Still, I think the more likely thing is that you are being too impatient.

Somehow, this got posted in the wrong thread! I guess it was me.

Back