fermentation strange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearKnowBeer

Reaction score
All grain Dunkel weizen started at 1.054 it's stalled at 1.021. It was at 1.023 when I transferred so in two weeks it's moved very little. Thinking about heating it up to seventy and seeing if it dries out.

1 week at 65
Transferred to secondary
2 weeks at 63
Gravity hasn't moved.

Thinking about recalibrating my refractometer and taking another sample. This is my first stick since switching to all grain.

Suggestions?

When you transfer a beer to secondary, you're removing it from the yeast mass- if it's not at FG, it will likely stall the fermentation. You should wait until Fg before transferring, if you do at all. You could swirl and warm, but see if it tastes OK, then bottle. If not, you could also do a starter, pitch at active kraeusen, it might restart fermentation.

+1 to pitching active yeast starter...key word is active cause if you just add yeast nothing will happen except the yeast will fall to the bottom and take up space

Are you taking gravity readings with the refractometer while there is alcohol present? That could be the problem, they are not accurate once there is alcohol. I think there are conversions that you can do, but a hydrometer would give you a more accurate reading.

I can't use the refractometer except at the beginning? Update I recalibrated and I was off just over 5 gravity points.

So I'm guessing around 1.015 I was expecting 1.012 per beerSmith. I think I will just wait another week and take another reading.

Can I ask why you can't use your refractometer once there is alcohol?

I can't use the refractometer except at the beginning? Update I recalibrated and I was off just over 5 gravity points.

So I'm guessing around 1.015 I was expecting 1.012 per beerSmith. I think I will just wait another week and take another reading.

Can I ask why you can't use your refractometer once there is alcohol?

Once there is alcohol in solution, it changes the way in which light refracts through the solution. There are only calculators that will approximate a post-fermentation refractometer reading, but you're best off measuring with a hydrometer.

Thanks guys I actually searched the furum last night (searching for a problem what a novel idea) found the calculator and determined my beer is most likely done.

Latest posts

Back