Fermentation stopped, then started again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Fermented an ale at 67 F for 7 days.
By the end of the 6th day, airlock stone dead.
Raising temp to 72 F for 2 days, and after about 18 hours, the airlock is bubbling once every 10-15 seconds.

I moved the fermenter to get higher temp, so I am assuming I just roused some yeast and this will be temporary.

Reason for raising temperature is I do a diacetyl rest on ales as well as lagers.

Any thoughts ?

It could be the yeast started fermenting again due to the warmer temps but most likely it was residual Co2 coming out of solution when the temperature increased.

Fermented an ale at 67 F for 7 days.
By the end of the 6th day, airlock stone dead.
Raising temp to 72 F for 2 days, and after about 18 hours, the airlock is bubbling once every 10-15 seconds.

I moved the fermenter to get higher temp, so I am assuming I just roused some yeast and this will be temporary.

Reason for raising temperature is I do a diacetyl rest on ales as well as lagers.

Any thoughts ?

Probably just off gassing CO2. I notice it when I raise temps too. Refractometer or hydrometer readings will tell you if anything is actually going on but my guess is no. Unless you're doing something high gravity or you're using a strain known to take its sweet time.

Probably just off gassing CO2. I notice it when I raise temps too. Refractometer or hydrometer readings will tell you if anything is actually going on but my guess is no. Unless you're doing something high gravity or you're using a strain known to take its sweet time.

OG was 1.054 (max for Blonde Ale), and my refractometer shows a FG of 1.010
Don't think I am entering wine gravity.
Makes sense, the beer would have some CO2 trapped in it, and the agitation is knocking it out.

Thanks for both of the previous answers.

Back