fermentation starting again after dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptbo_mac

Reaction score
Hey All

I have searched online for a answer but cant seem to find one so I have come to the pros.
I transferred a ipa to secondary after fermentation stopped in the primary(17 days) Its been dry hopping now for 10 days(longer then I wanted but life got in the way) I planned on bottling tonight but as I was about to transfer the beer to my bottling bucket I noticed that the beer in the carboy looks as if its still full of life. Bubbles rising from bottom to the top and not as clear as I expected.
Is it possible that fermentation has re started somehow or is it something else.
Any help would be appreciated, I dont want to bottle if I am going to get bombs

Thanks
Mac

Wow thanks for the quick response
Will I be ok to bottle now or should I wait?

Indeed bottle now! This way it will be carbed and ready to drink soon!:tank:

By adding the dry hops, you have created nucleation sites. It is just co2 coming out of solution, not fermentation starting again.

after dry hopping for 10 days, it would have finished out gassing by now.

I suspect either it was a stalled fermentation, and the yeast got roused when it was transferred... Or it got infected when it was transferred.

The only way to know if it's ready to bottle is with hydrometer readings. Have you taken any readings, OP?

Agree with the hydrometer readings to know for sure about bottling. However things like changes in temperature and barometric pressure can cause co2 to come out of solution even after 10 days, or longer.

Yeah. In my experiences, dry hopping creates nucleation sites for dissolved Co2 to come out of solution. And 10 days is about maximum dry hopping time, so get it in bottles asap before it gets grassy.:mug:

Thanks for all the responses. After some hydrometer readings it seems as if its stopped fermenting. Must be the reaction from the hops.
I will be bottling as soon as I get home from work tonight
Mac

Back