Fermentation stalled at 1.022

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewth1

Reaction score
Hi all,
I attempted my first brew two weeks ago.

Details:
4.5# 2row (that had been sitting for several months)
Mash around 150 for 1 hr
Tried to bring to a boil (was more of a simmer) for 15 minutes (didn’t think I got a hot break?stove was struggling hardcore)
Whirlpool for half hour w 1 oz belma hops
Final volume 1.5 gallons
Chilled to ~70
Og ~1.062 hydrometer likes to float a little crooked
Pitched a pack of omega labs hothead ale yeast (put off boil for several months, yeast was several months past date)
Activity took about a day before a nice foam formed.

Active ferm finished by first week, but gravity was at 1.022 so I waited another week to see if it finished out. But it’s been that week and nothings happened other than some degassing since gravity is still the same.

Im tasting it currently, everything seems to taste relatively fine, about where I wanted it to land, but I definitely taste the extra sugars I probably didn’t activate.

Would it be safe to bottle? Should I let it sit longer?

Thanks everyone.

Probable cause :
underpitching like hell with old yeast(even tho it was a small batch)
Poor aeration before pitching
Poor boil chemistry (kinda forgot to watch for hot break and cold break)

Should I give her a whirl and let her sit some more?

I suppose I’m within the estimated final gravity of around 1.017. I just don’t want any bottle bombs.

You're at 64% attenuation which is a bit low but not out of the ballpark for extract brews. If your ferment temperature is 68+ then I'd call it done, otherwise warm it up for three days and check the gravity again.

Yeah it’s at a comfy 74. I called it done and bottled.

Stuck them all in a cooler on their side in case they are under attenuated. I’ll roll them some before cooling in the fridge to get the cake on he bottom.

Back