fermentation restarting in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9am53

Reaction score
I made my first batch 3 weeks ago, had issues with the yeast, had to repitch a different brand of yeast (it was all I had) and finally got it going, 2 weeks later my SG had gone from 1044 to 1020, and was stuck, no action. I waited another week and fg was still 1020, and there was no bubbling in the fermenter. I figured what the hey, it doesn't taste awful I will just chock it up to the learning curve. I racked into a glass carboy with an ounce of fuggles to let it sit for a couple more weeks and give this bland beer kit some flavor. I accidentally got some trub along with the beer (newbie mistake) but lo and behold the yeasties took off again! it is now 2 days later in secondary, and I am getting a bubble every 6 seconds! I made sure to not let air in, I used an auto siphon with my beer bottling cane that I had pushed in the bottom of the carboy, so there was no splashing at all, it took a while to get it in because I had it going slow and steady. Other than the yeast being stirred up what can cause this? I expected this for a few hours maybe, but not days! Not that I am upset, I may get some alcohol in there after all :)

OK, so this batch is still bubbling! it is in the basement at 60 degrees, and bubbling every 10-12 seconds. I made this batch during easter., is there anyway that it is still fermenting? I am getting really ansy to try it out since it's my first batch.

Take a hydrometer reading. If it's below your last reading check it again in 1-2 days. If it's the same then it's done fermenting.

I did a hydrometer reading and got 1018...it was 1022 about 3 weeks ago. I am going to give it another week and see, I am just sick of waiting, I am never using crap yeast again! lol

Back