Fermentation ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt81

Reaction score
Hello everybody

This is my second batch. Muntons Gold 2 can pilsner, ale yeast.

This is asked here million times but...anyway. Bubbling seems a little bit too active - 2-4 times per minute. It is 15th day and I bottled. Because the SG has been the same for 3 days - 1.011. Measured with hydrometer. No changes. But airlock activity was the same like 7 days. OG was 1038. Taste is good, smell is good. Temperature has been constant 69,8F. Recipe says it is ok to bottle if OG is constant below 1.014.

First time I did the same kit and it was on primary for 9 days, FG was 1.012 and airlock slowed day by day and finally stopped, but not this time. Although yes, first days the activity was bubble per second. All similar conditions as this time. I have read tons of posts but all report muuch less airlock activity (if any). I know, airlock is not an indicator does fermentation still going on but still a little bit worried - bottle bombs possibility :)

I hope I didn't bottle to early?
A little bit hard to believe it is CO2 which escapes through airlock (some say then it is about 1 bubble per minute or eveh per hour)., but may be really...or what else can cause this?

Since your gravity stayed constant, I would say you are Ok. Bubbling of the airlock can just be caused by degassing. Usually from fluctuation in temperature or nucleation points in the trub

You'll want to get in the habit of not paying any attention to the airlock. sometimes it bubbles for 20 days, sometimes it doesn't bubble at all. It is NOT a gauge of active fermentation, the only true tool you have is your hydrometer. give your beer time (2 weeks at least) to let the yeast do their thing. then take a few hydro readings over a couple days. If your gravity stays the same, like it has, then you are good.

Hello. Thanks for the replies. Sounds reasinable what you are saying. One bottle is plastic also (other are glass) and so far it doesn't look like stone either. So lets just wait for some carbonation now:mug:

Latest posts

Back