fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can I cause the yeast to reactivate, or cause it to ferment even more by stirring up my carboy? If so, should I do this and what is the preferred method?

-Could you be more specific? Did it ferment since you want to reactivate i assume it did, have you taken a gravity reading? Is it finished? Did it have any temperature control? It will ferment out quickly with no control.

What's your Final Gravity at? If your beer is near terminal gravity, I would not risk stirring it as you'll run the risk of oxidizing it. If you're concerned it's not fermenting out completely, try re-pitching some yeast.

My og was 1.064. After 9 days I'm at 1.037. I brewed an all grain chocolate raspberry stout and used a Youngs double chocolate stout clone as a base recipe. I am planning on adding 8 oz of hersheys cocoa powder and 1.25 lbs of raspberry puree in the secondary. (I applied the same amount of each to the mash). I did not do a starter... (I will try to do so next time even though I don't have a starter kit). I added one vial of wlp002 to primary. Beer tastes pretty freakin good thus far, but I'm still learning... And I'm reading a book about yeast in order to try to better understand the fermentation process.

At 1037 I would swirl the yeast and see if you can bring the temp up the middle or high end of the yeast recommended range. Or your beer will end up very sweet, and I wouldn't bottle it or you risk bombs. You definitely underpitched- you don't need equipment to do a starter, just a sanitized jar, or even a 2l bottle sanitized, santized foil / rubber band on opening, DME in boiled water, pitch and swirl it as often as you reasonably can. Chill in fridge after 2 days, decant beer off once it is clear.

Back